Mic Troubles

edited August 2005 in Hardware
Ok heres the deal:
My microphone does not work in anything unless it is pressed right up against my lips. I have the mic volume up and unmuted, ive gone through and updated all the drivers for my sound (which is on board) and it still isn't working. I have it plugged in correctly as well and i can hear what goes through the mic come out of my speakers. Any ideas? anyone?
My board is an ABIT AI7 and the only thing I have not done is get the driver update from ABIT because everytime I try to download it it says page cannot be displayed or it starts and times out.
any and all help is greatly appreciated

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    See if there is an Advanced button for the Mic on your volume control. In there you should find a box for Mic Boost. Make sure it's checked. :)
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2005
    Could the cable be broke? If it's a moulded plug try cutting off a few inches and fitting a new one or replace the cable altogether.
  • edited August 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    See if there is an Advanced button for the Mic on your volume control. In there you should find a box for Mic Boost. Make sure it's checked. :)
    This helped. I can use the mic in ventrillo but theres still the problem of an echo. I can hear myself through the speakers as i talk into the mic, it does the same thing on my headset. :scratch:
  • rykoryko new york
    edited August 2005
    you need the newest realtek audio drivers. look in the SM downloads section...
  • Ghaleon4Ghaleon4 South Oklahoma
    edited August 2005
    Man, this is all too common, and very easy to fix (Microphone input being output through the speakers).
    You do not have to update your drivers to apply this fix. The settings you are about to adjust are native to Windows XP.

Listen VERY carefully:

Go to your control panel, and double-click on "Sounds and Audio Devices".

Click on the "Audio" Tab near the top of the window that appears.

Under "Sound Playback", click the "Volume" button.

Find the "Microphone" slider (if that is the "device" that you use for recording), and MUTE IT!! This will not mute your microphones ability to record...but it DOES mute the OUTPUT to your speakers! This confuses a LOT of people.

Problem solved! Thank you, come again.