Need some programing help.

jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
edited August 2005 in Internet & Media
Ok, I've been looking for a program that would monitor a DSL network connection and then dial out on a 56k modem if the connection is ever droped. It also needs to start a VPN after the dial out connection is made. I havent found any program that would do this, so I figured I would write my own. I have very little program experience, but I figured that this shouldnt be very hard to write.

I have a Visual C++ compiler, so if anyone wants to give me some pointers that would be great.

Thanks!!!

P.S. I'm using Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 if that helps.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    The corporate version of smoothwall does this - if the ethernet connection is lost, it will automatically fail-over to PPP or ISDN.

Note: The free open source version does not have this functionality.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited August 2005
    Isnt this a linux based OS though? I just need a small program in windows to do this.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Yeah, it's a dedicated linux distro.
    edited August 2005
    That dont help. I just need a small program that will do this. It cant be that hard. Maybe the program could send out 5 pings every 10 mins to the gateway. If it gets no replies then it initializes the modem and dials out to the backup connection. Then the program could initiate a batch file that opens a connection to the VPN.

It doesnt sound that hard, but since I know little to nothing about programming then I cant say :)

I'm a hardware guy, not a software guru.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Linux can play as router on an older computer. In essence, you need a router emulation, right???? Well, a Linux based Smoothwall (as Primesuspect said) can play router for you, on a computer that natively runs at 500 mhz or so, from orphan parts. Just do not use an old Compaq or an HP Presario series, easiest to use a whitebox(due to power management). Linux can support multiple NICs, one for your DSL modem, one into your VPN via a baby router, or even 10 or more NICs if needed (google Cyclades for mini-router cards that can have up to 8 ports of NIC on one PCI slot, for one way to do this many NICs thing), one to each computer. If same computer has a modem, then Smoothwall can do that.

Look, in Windows, for a proxy or internet sharing software (WinProxy??). Write a routine that checks for ping results, like you said, and if not starts up something like winproxy. The problem you will then have, with windows, is switching back to DSL when it comes back up.

Linux can switch BACK using Smoothwall Corporate, by continuing to ping and then rerouting back to the NIC port for interent when port comes back up. Conclusion, cheap linux router is best.
    edited August 2005
    Building a machine to solve this problem isn't really an option. We have a point of sale system for our cafeterias that runs off touch screen terminals at the line, then send information back to a back-office PC where it transmits to a corperate server. Adding another machine in line is not a possiability.

You would think it wouldnt be hard for this to be a small stand alone piece of software.