What benchmark program can I use on older systems?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited August 2005 in Hardware
I downloaded 3DMark2001SE on my main system and tested it. Had to get DirectX9.0c, but after that it worked.

But I tried several benchmark programs (3DMark2001SE, 3DMark 2000 1.1, 3DMark99MAX, and XL-R8R) on my other 2 systems, and none would work. They all said they needed more on the 3D hardware/software in my system, that my 3D stuff wasn't detected, things like that.

The older computers are:

1. Dell Latitude CPi-A366XT laptop, it has the NeoMagic 2200 2.5 MB video card in it.

2. Abit BP6 with twin 533 Celerons @ 600, and a 16 MB Visiontek NVD01.0 video card.

I downloaded Direct X 9.0c onto all 3 computers, but that didn't help.

I don't expect these 2 computers to be anything great, but I would like to see what they can do.

My main system (Barton 2500 @ 2.2 Ghz, Radeon 9200SE, Abit NF-7 V2.0, 768 MB RAM) scored 4372 3D Marks.

How do you get the picture to post here from 3D Mark? I see that a lot of people have it.

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    SiSoft Sandra is a good benchmark program for the processor, memory, and hard drive.

To get a picture to post:

1) Press "print screen" on your keyboard
    2) Go into a graphics program, open a new document, and press paste
    3) Trim the image down so that only the area you're intersted in is visible
    4) Save it
    5) Attach it to a post
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I ran 3DMark2001 SE again on my main system, and also tried 3DMark2003.

I scored 4377 on '01, and 640 in '03.

That print screen thing didn't work. It wouldn't do anything, and I tried opening that small screen with a few different programs, including picture and fax viewer, and nothing worked.

I'll look at the SiSoft Sandra program.
    edited August 2005
    So when you press print screen, open paint, and select "paste" from the edit menu, nothing happens? That's worked on every machine I've tried so far. How odd. :scratch:
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I don't have a printer hooked up, maybe that's it. I just tried to print THIS page by pressing 'print screen', and pressing it in conjunction with shift, crtl, alt, and the windows icon key. Nothing happens.
    edited August 2005
    Printscreen doesn't print anything. Have you tried pressing the key and going into Paint? All printscreen does is put a copy of your screen (as it looked the second you pressed the key) on your clipboard.

Usually, you won't notice anything when you actually press the key. Sometimes there's a little studder for a fraction of a second.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Gargoyle wrote:
    SiSoft Sandra is a good benchmark program for the processor, memory, and hard drive.

To get a picture to post:

1) Press "print screen" on your keyboard
    2) Go into a graphics program, open a new document, and press paste
    3) Trim the image down so that only the area you're intersted in is visible
    4) Save it
    5) Attach it to a post

errr once you have a saved picture, just how do you go about attaching it to your post. When I tried, by clicking on "insert image" it gave me a script prompt. Dunno what to do with that...
    edited August 2005
    Just hit the "manage attachments" button when you're typing a reply. JPEG and GIF attachments will then be automatically displayed in the post. Maybe some other formats are too, but BMP is not.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Thanks G

easy when you know how ;)

Hopefully I can impose on you some time to show me how to make a kick_ass signature. I know this is a bit off the subject, but I find it strange that there is no tutorial available for us newbies to read up on how to do these things.

There are very few folk of the 4000 odd registered here that have personalised their profiles. Methinks its due to not knowing how to go about it.

I would be interested in getting responses from those out there who feel the same.