Been wayyy too long...

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited August 2005 in Hardware
alright, seeing as its been about 4 years since i installed a video card for my friend, and a lot longer than that since i did it for myself. I have forgotten what to do...I guess it is true that if you dont use it you loose it.

Now i am pretty sure that i need to uninstall the old drivers, shut the computer off and then install the new video card. Then reboot, install new drivers and im good to go.

But what i have forgotten is how to uninstall the dang video drivers..I've went to add hardware and am greated by a bunch of dialouge boxes...this isn't it. i know that. I can find the hardware manager or whatever the dang thing is called...

all i need to do is uninstall the drivers i have installed for this trident card and i know how to do the rest...

a reply asap would be awesome as i want to see what this card can do.

Let the benchmarking begin. ;D:thumbsup:

Comments

• edited August 2005
    I'm pretty sure if you boot and install the new drivers it should work fine.

But you could just go to My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager

Or you can use Driver cleaner.
  • edited August 2005
    csimon wrote:
    are you uninstalling ati or nvidia?

I believe he is using some sort of onboard...

So neither.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    why would he say "install a new video card" if it was onboard?? :shakehead

he's clearly not talking about on-board
  • edited August 2005
    why would he say "install a new video card" if it was onboard?? :shakehead

he's clearly not talking about on-board

I said some sort of onboard, when you get your head out of your ass and stop jumping on my posts, ready to criticize anything and everything maybe you would see not only what he said (which is a trident video card), but what my posts correlation to that is.

It's not necessary to be so picayune.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Simmer down, guys. Both those replies were excessive. Back to drivers...
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited August 2005
    Use Add/Remove Software to uninstall the drivers. They should be in there. Problem is that uninstalling the drivers doesnt exactly remove all registry entries and files from the HDD. You need to reboot into SAFEMODE after you remove the drivers and use a driver cleaner to remove the rest of whats left. Otherwise you may be in for some BSOD's and incompatability with the new card.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    What are you removing and what are you installing? If you're going from an ATi to ATi or nVidia to nVidia then you don't need to do anything. Just turn the PC off, take out the old one, put the new one in and boot. It will install the drivers from the Windows cache and if it hasn't activated things like the ATi CCC or nVidia panel you can just re-run the driver installer.

If you're going from one make to the other then just do what jradmin said.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    hah hah hah hahah....dont mean to make fun of you two, but pilots wings and stubby are like my lil bro's friends....heh heheh heh...no offense of course..

I was using a pci trident card if everyone on this site doesnt know that already...trying to decide what to do with it. dont want to throw away a piece of history. who knows how hard itd be to find a duplicate.

I went from trident (i know..) to nvidia 6800 GT (hell yeah)...i went into safemode yesterday upon recollecting what to do a little bit and have the card installed and running. havent had a good chance to see what it can do yet.

Most up to date game i have is tribes 2 and its pullin 180-200 fps online....heh heh heh.

My radeon 9200 SE in the other rig only pulls 25-40 fps....totally sick...im fixing to overclock it to ultra specs...dont know if ill see that big of a jump in framerates though. im hoping for 8-12 fps gain.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    which was obviously NOT on-board... :rolleyes:

no idea where you got that from.

yeah airborn thats quite an upgrade up to the 6800gt lol