Ic_11

GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
edited August 2005 in Folding@Home
... has a dead hard drive. I swapped my old AGOIA for the Duron that was in it, and when I started it up, it took 10 mintues to get to the desktop. Everything I tried to do on it took much longer than it was supposed to. Eventually, I got "The Disk in drive C is not formatted. Would you like to format it now?"

After a restart, it said some system files were missing. My guess is that the HD has been slowly dying while it's been running (nonstop for weeks), but the bad sectors weren't being accessed. Until I restarted, that is.

I could do a repair install, but I think that this HD is in its death throes. I've got some spares, but it'll probably be tomorrow night before I get windows reinstalled. I'll give it a shot tonight, but I have to get to work early tomorrow, so I need to be heading to bed soon.

I'll keep you all posted. :fold:

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Thanks mate. :cool:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Is it clicking or making any other sounds? Try running a hard drive diagnosis... If the drive is dead, we'll send you another drive. Just let us know. :thumbsup:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    awww, my desktop background :(

Thanks for the update, gargy :)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Is it clicking or making any other sounds? Try running a hard drive diagnosis... If the drive is dead, we'll send you another drive. Just let us know. :thumbsup:
    Yeah, it was clicking a little. It also is acting like it's got bad sectors. But, I've got about a half dozen spare small drives, so I'll swap one of those in. The rest I'll send to Prof after IC_11's issues are worked out. :thumbsup:
    awww, my desktop background :(
    I'm hoping I can salvage it. If the drive is just in the process of dying, I might get it to work as a slave in my main rig and pull the keepers off :D (desktops and the incomplete WU)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    Good luck, Gargoyle. If you need anything from the SMx Parts Bin just yell. :)
    edited August 2005
    Thanks prof! I think she's good to go now. She sure was a quirky beast tonight, though. Error beep codes, a windows stop error after install, and a toasted video card (long story... good thing I've got spares, I've seem to have developed the touch of death).

My latest rambings at: http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36541
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Gargized.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Glad to hear she's behaving... she's probably rebelling against you since being seperated from IC9 and Prof.... Prof has a bond with these systems.... almost unnatural bond..... :wtf:
    edited August 2005
    She's probably mad that I moved her out of the case she's been in for a couple years. But after being dropkicked by FedEx a few times in shipping (sent it to Prime before I moved, then Prime sent it to me here), that case was looking pretty rough. She'll learn to like her makeover. She better, anyway.