Can't boot because file is missing/corrupt

edited April 2006 in Hardware
I can't boot windows because the file windows\system32\config\system is either missing or corrupt... I've tried the recovery console, but it asks to log onto 1: C:\WINDOWS and I press 1 but nothing happens, so I press enter, even tho it says Enter to cancel... and it takes me to C:\WINDOWS.... I'm not sure at this point if I am in the recovery console or not... I'm not sure how to fix this... I've tried to go into setup instead of recovery console to try and repair the installation, but after I hit enter from booting from the cd, it doesn't give me an option to repair anything. It won't find the existing install on C:\, only to install a fresh install.. I dunno... please help! :bawling:

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    ...I've tried the recovery console...and it takes me to C:\WINDOWS.... I'm not sure at this point if I am in the recovery console or not...
    You are. Try typing in chkdsk /f and then press {enter}. If still no go, try typing in fixboot and then press {enter}. You can also try typing in fixmbr and then press {enter}.

If none of that works, try this:

Boot from the WinXP CD and proceed as if you were doing a clean install. (That means bypass the Recovery Console altogether.) At some point it should find your old Windows installation. Do not tell it to add a new Windows install, just pick "Repair the current installation" and you should be off and running. :)
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2005
    I have made this mistake (several times). I press a key to boot from CD and it carrys on, then it reboots and I press a key again (I know, I know). If it reboots do not press a key to boot from CD again, just leave it and it moves on.
  • edited August 2005
    ok, it seems to be working, I just wasn't going far enough into the windows installation, I guess the "Install on this partition even tho there is already a windows install there" stuff scared me lol...

thanks a bunch guys...
    edited August 2005
    ok, it seems to be working, I just wasn't going far enough into the windows installation, I guess the "Install on this partition even tho there is already a windows install there" stuff scared me lol...

thanks a bunch guys...
    You're not installing a new copy are you? You want to Repair the old one.
    :)
  • edited August 2005
    Hi there. I had simular problem. I menage to repair system, but. When he started to work, almost all aplication needs to be reinstall. AVP lost almost quarter data, Firewall, office...
  • ikfilterikfilter Canada
    edited August 2005
    Im having a simular problem however i have run chkdsk /r, /p, fixboot, fix mbr and it does work but only for about 3 - 5 restarts before the boot becomes corrupted yet again.... I cleared the bios and then using a win98 boot disk fdisk /mbr fdisk the hard drive, partioned, re-installed XPpro, updated restarted and same problem

80GB Seagate UDMA
    Amd K6-2 450Mhz
    192MB SDRAM

I was also told that UDMA drives required a 80pin IDE so i made sure it was using one. If anyone has any suggestions or comments im more then open. :thumbsup:
    edited August 2005
    For the last few posts, I'd recommend running the test from the HD manufacturer. If that comes up clean, you may need a visit to our Spyware/Virus/Trojan Discussion Forum.
    edited September 2005
    Ok i went to the seagate website and ran the diginosis software after 30 mins of scanning it said it had detected no error's. So im left with what part of the forum you suggest i visit?

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:
  • Greg-Greg- Newcastle, Australia
    edited September 2005
    Hi,

I just posted a reply to another thread on this forum covering the same problem.
    Identical problem, seems to me to be to do with my motherboard/CPU as I have 2 virtually identical machines and only one is misbehaving. My experience, and that covered in other thread, is that machine will run fine for days, then crash, and give '\widows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt' on reboot. My latest recovery I managed by booting from another disk (Win98!!) and copying '\windows\repair\system' over the original. Also had to reinstall XP SP2 as several programs were not behaving correctly.

Possible cause has been suggested as overheating of hard drive controller. I don't know. I suspect a poor CPU socket or inadequate fan.

Good luck!

Greg
    edited September 2005
    ikfilter wrote:
    Ok i went to the seagate website and ran the diginosis software after 30 mins of scanning it said it had detected no error's. So im left with what part of the forum you suggest i visit?...
    profdlp wrote:
    ...you may need a visit to our Spyware/Virus/Trojan Discussion Forum.
    Make sure you look over the requirements for posting. :)

Greg, it sounds like you've got some hands-on experience with this situation. Anyone having a similar problem would be well advised to listen to your advice. :thumbsup:
    edited September 2005
    I've been playing around with this as much as i can trying to get somewhere with it... i tryed connecting the Hard Drive to my tower unplugging the cd-rom's and starting the computer. I was told, as long as im running XP it should detect it and then automatically run a chkdsk. But alas i got cannot boot OS, before a system freeze.

I decided to get more investigative so after returning the hard drive back to it's tower i started sifting through the AMIBIOS... low and behold the drive is not being auto-detected it's on some sort of USER size is 80 which is correct and the max number cylinders is as well. However when i navigate to the auto-detect hard drives the system says "Detecting Drive Parameters" and then freezes i cannot stop the detection and i cannot close it. I can simply only push the power button as nothing else works. Could this be a related problem?

I dont know if this helps but it's a Socket7 board with ALI chipset and i found several markings that could be model numbers "N1996" and "MS5169 Ver4.0 AL9"
    edited September 2005
    ikfilter, did you try this:
    profdlp wrote:
    For the last few posts, I'd recommend running the test from the HD manufacturer. If that comes up clean, you may need a visit to our Spyware/Virus/Trojan Discussion Forum.
    I would suspect the first part of the above might apply more toward your situation. When a drive detection hangs it usually is either a bad HD, or the MB. (PSU being a third option.)

A BIOS update might be the answer if the problem lies on the MB end of things. :)
    edited September 2005
    ikfilter wrote:
    ...I dont know if this helps but it's a Socket7 board with ALI chipset and i found several markings that could be model numbers "N1996" and "MS5169 Ver4.0 AL9"
    I did a little research and it would seem that this is an MSI Board. I had high hopes that a BIOS upgrade would get you going, but I couldn't find anything to indicate that they still support this board. :(
    edited September 2005
    Ok maybe i wont bother with the bios upgrade lol. Like i said though i ran the diginosis software from seagate tech through the drive and they detected no error's. I just tryed putting a small 2.2GB Maxtor drive in and running the auto-detection through the AMIBIOS and Eureeka it found the drive. Is it possible i have a defective 80GB Seagate UDMA Drive? It's practicaly brand new came out of the package no more then a few weeks ago.
    edited September 2005
    My last post and yours passed each other in crossing, but looking at the era of that MB and the size of your drive I think it's pretty sure that what you're going to need is either a BIOS flash or an add-on IDE Controller card. Back in the day, that MB would have probably done a good job of identifying a 15GB drive. I doubt that 80GB was even on the horizon at that point.
    edited September 2005
    Yeah i was doing research on the board and it's most likely developed between the years 97 and 98 the 2.2gb drive i just tryed from maxtor was a 97 and it works fine.... i was affraid that having a such a new drive in the system might make it almost impossible to get up and running... although the drive was running fine for a peroid of 2 months with a WinME OS in it, although it was only reading about 36GB instead of the 80. Perhaps it doesnt have LBA onboard or something.

P.S Thanks for all your help

I just viewed a thread simular to my problem while looking for a Bios when i found it. Click Here

I found some MSI Bios update's but i dont like to do this (bad memory's :bawling: ) so im gonna post it here and wait awhile if you could check it over make sure im not about to update this thing with some sort of Ubbernubber software id greatly appreciate it.
    edited September 2005
    If there were an official BIOS to try I'd recommend that. I've used some 3rd Party BIOS's but I think you're wise in being a little bit leery of them. My personal luck with them has been very good, but it still remains a crapshoot.

I'd weigh the options like this:

1) Buy an add-on Hard Drive Controller. For your system I would not recommend spending big bucks on a fancy card. The cheapest controller listed is likely to be able to cover your situation. Caveat Emptor: a little research might avoid future compatibility issues. :cool:

2) Invest in something such as as this. You may also want to make arrangements with one of our members for replacing your BIOS chip should the flash go awry. If this is your only computer with Internet access you should be prepared for an alternative way to contact him, such as old-fashioned telephone service.

3) Keep in mind that for the price of either of the services listed above you could probably replace the whole MB. Computer hardware has advanced far beyond the Socket 7 era - it may be time to re-evauluate your situation.

4) Cross your fingers and go for it, keeping in mind Item #3. :)
    edited September 2005
    Alright thanks for all the great advice... im glad i narrowed down the problem i was looking at some socketA boards their getting cheap now. I will think about investing in that BIOS kit would be a quicker way to find out my error's. Thank's again for all your imput.
  • edited September 2005
    Hello,

First time posting on these forums. I hope that you can help me out with this. I am receiving the message

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
    Select ‘r’ at the first screen to start repair.

when I try to boot. I've read through a few troubleshooting threads on this forum, and I've tried to follow along to the best of my abilities, but nothing is working.

If I try to proceed with an install from the CD, I arrive at a screen where my previous version of Wintows XP is found. My only options at this point are to enter=install D=Delete Partition or F3=Quit. I was hoping that a 'repair' option would appear, but if I follow through with the commands, it looks as though I will have to overwrite my OS before I get the chance to repair it.

Running the repair console and attempting to fixboot, chkdsk / f, etc, and I still can't boot.

I'm using a Gateway laptop. The Hard Drive is a POS, and I'm about to take it back to the retailer for warranty replacement. I have most of my files backed up, but I need to get into Windows just ONE MORE TIME to copy some important data.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Mike
  • Shadow2018Shadow2018 Northwest Missouri
    edited September 2005
    When it locates the "previously installed windows" there should be an option of "repairing the installed version. Are you not getting this option?
  • edited September 2005
    No, I'm not.

When I boot from CD, the first screen I arrive at is a Windows Setup screen, where I am given the following options:

Welcome to Setup

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP to run on your computer.

To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3

When I press Enter to set up Windows XP, I am taken to a licensing page, followed by a Windows XP Professional Setup page, where the existing partitions on my computer are shown.

The screen shows that I have C: Partition1 [NTFS]

When I highlight this partition and type ENTER to install, I get a message that says I have chosen to install Windows XP on a partition that contains another operating system. If I continue, I arrive at another screen that gives me three options

Format the partition using the NTFS file system (Quick)
    Format the partition using the NTFS file system
    Leave the current file system intact (no changes)

If I select any of these options, I am taken to a last 'are you sure?' -type screen, after which I can either click to execute the install or exit.

At no point do I encounter the option to repair.

What should I do?

Thanks,

- Mike
  • edited April 2006
    Hey, how're you all doing?

I read the above, but I can't figure how to do any of it. I have a similar problem...

"Windows could not start because the followng file is missing or corrupt: \Windows\System32\Config\System You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM. Select r at the first screen to start repair."

Heres two other problems: I don't have a setup CD-ROM, and its a dell laptop (Inspiron B120). It won't let me into safemode either, nor the 'Last Known Good Configuration'. I also attempted what this guy said on this site:

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,112479,00.asp

mainly going to this site: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=55820EDB-5039-4955-BCB7-4FED408EA73F

...and downloading the program but it won't let me save it to a CD. Any ideas?

Thanks!
  • edited April 2006
    Re: help windows\system32\config\system missing
    i guss this is because i used AD-AWARE or SPYBOT and it deleted an important part of the registry. . . instead of the virus

please help!!!

missing or corrupt file: windows\system32\config\system

it seems i tried to delete a virus from regedit on my own and deleted an important file on accident, causing my windows to no longer load. . .

causing this message to come up wen i turn on the computer:

missing or corrupt file: windows\system32\config\system

and wont let me get on windows. . .

im not using a diff hard drive and i have the other one as a slave.

i wanted to know how i can fix this problem and be able to use my windows again

also, another issue is that i dont have the original XP cd or any other Xp cd . . . so i was wondering if there is a way to fix this issue without it???

i appreciate any help!!!

thanks!!