Intel Releases Pentium 4 Extreme Edition

SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
edited September 2003 in Science & Tech
Intel Releases Pentium 4 Extreme Edition

800 FSB? 3.2 GHz Clock? 2.5 MB Cache?

Intel just announced their first microprocessor aimed at the gaming market - the Pentium 4 Processor Extreme Edition. The Extreme Edition will be available in the next 30 - 60 days and will run at 3.2GHz.

The major improvement to the Extreme Edition over the current Pentium 4 is the inclusion of an on-die 2MB L3 cache. This on-die L3 cache is in addition to the 512KB L2 cache, giving the Extreme Edition a total of 2.5MB of on-die cache. Note that this is identical to the Xeon MP (Gallatin) core, other than the fact that we're talking about a CPU that runs at 3.2GHz and has an 800MHz FSB.

Source: Anandtech.com & The Inquirer

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Eventually they're going to need to expand their boxes just to bear the damn p4 logo that gets bigger and bigger every time they add some more consumer-whoring **** to their CPU.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited September 2003
    Must be an error in the Matrix.
    You know that's the only reason for Deja-Vu.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Not a bad idea at all. This thing will sell like hot cakes to gamers/overclockers.

Anybody have the specs on the
    original compared to this? Sounds like a lot of cache.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Well, according to this Tom's Hardware Article, the L3 cache doesn't help much. If I bought a P4 I think I'd go for the normal version, knowing that this new one will probably be hella expensive (as if P4s aren't already :) )
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I agree that price-wise, this one will be steap as hell.

However, Tom can´t tell the difference between his own ass and a rotten pear and isn´t really a source.

I´m sure it will be faster than its brother though. No point releasing it otherwise.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Tom is an intel sympathizer, if he says an Intel chip offers no additional merits, it probably doesn't.

And as for the "No point in releasing it otherwise" comment, that's really quite untrue. Intel consumers buy what they perceive as bigger, better, and faster. The additional cache, regardless of the price increase, and regardless the worthlessness of it, will draw Intel fans like flies to crap.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    They say you can catch more flies with honey than you can with crap. But who really wants to catch flies anyway?