OK, pretend its your own comp!

jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
edited August 2005 in Hardware
My first AMD chip! Ok, Is it really imperative that I OC a 1gb FSB? I can understand the multiplier, but why would the FSB need it running at such a high speed already?

RAM! 2 gig of OCZ platinum rev2 (4x 512m). I know it has to run in T2 and that the San Diego does support all 4 channels being PC400. What are some optimal timings for this RAM?

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I don't know about A64 chips, but back in the old days, (P1,2,3,4, Athlon XP) the multiplier was locked most of the time, so the only way to OC was to raise the FSB. Eventually AMD chips unlocked multipliers, but I believe only on certain mobos.

Is it imperative that you OC a 1ghz FSB? I say no, especially if your computer laughs at anything you throw at it, and it looks like it will handily. The only reason to do it is just because you can. I mean that system will easily be running any game that comes out for the next two or three years.
  • edited August 2005
    One of the reasons to overclock the HTT (fsb) is to overclock the processor, since you didn't buy an FX chip and your San Diego is upwardly locked on the multi. Another reason to overclock the HTT is to provide better memory bandwidth for your ram by running it faster than the nominal 200 MHz at stock speed.

As far as memory timings go, I would try it's rated timings at 200 MHz, which in your case should be 2-2-2-5 timings. As you already know, you will have to run it at 2T due to using 4 sticks of ram.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited August 2005
    Your computer makes my computer cry. And mine's already being stretched past its limits.

As for overclocking, you'll want it. It's like cocaine once you start doing it. Every damn mhz matters, and when you have to back it off one or two (literally), you'll swear you can feel the difference.

I almost can't stand running at 2.8, because while 400mhz is not that huge of an overclock, it's just a tiny bit faster in everything. And perception is 3/4 reality (or whatever that quote is) :)