Far Cry on the big screen

scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
edited September 2005 in Gaming
After getting the BFG 7800 gtx oc and playing HL2 and Far CRY all maxed out I decided the next step is to try out the HDTV outputs. I hooked it up to our 50" toshiba HDTV. The Nvida drivers were all that was needed, it took care of all the details quite handily. I had to mess with windows display options to get things readable at 1600 X 900 resolution. I used all the "accesability options" and things are working out pretty good. I am still playing with it but here are a couple of pictures to show it off. I hope you guys think it is as cool as I do. Sitting in the recliner and playing my favorite games is pretty nice.
2.jpg 117.8K

Comments

• scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    and another
    3.jpg 86.4K
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    i was jealous when i talked to you on the phone earlier, and for the record, that jealousy continues now.... :shakehead

awesome setup, scott. looks incredible :thumbsup:
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2005
    :) I have the exact same tv.
    edited August 2005
    Thanks Prime !
    It really is pretty cool. I am sitting here in my Lazy Boy in the Great Room 12 feet from the screen. No problem.

This 7800 is really awesome. Now I want another one to run sii like jradmin is.
    I recorded a benchmark in far cry and ran it on my P4 rig 3.0ghz with a 9800 pro. the avg fps was around 30. I ran it on this setup and it averaged 125fps. with all settings maxed out WOW. I think later I will upload the benchmark and see what you guys can run it at. I would really like to see jradmins score with two of these bad boys !

But now .....back to Far Cry

Scott
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Oddly enough, I'm in nearly the exact same spot as you are. There was one part I just could not get past in that series of autosaves, it was driving me up a wall. I persisted, though, and managed to get through! :thumbsup: Great game, isn't it?

Oh...right, nice TV. :D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    Good gravy - that is sweet! :eek:
    edited August 2005
    Nights

This is about my sixth time through it. I have not played it in about a year. The autosaves can be frustrating. The worst ones are at the beginning of a level where you have to watch the cut scene over and over.

I played for several hours last night and I think it is much harder on a large screen. Somewhat more realistic in the fact that it is harder to aim and it is so far from one side of the screen to the other. It makes it far more challenging.

Scott
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited August 2005
    I tried this a long time ago on a 55" sony projection using a DVI connection, and it did look awesome indeed. I even played quite a biot of farcry..

BUT, when I did it the sides of the screen were cut off, as if the vidcard (a 9700 Pro) was displaying the image bigger than the TV screen. Ultimately I decided it just was'nt practical to continue using it that way and stopped.

My questions for you: Did you have any problems with the sides (including top and bottom) of the screen being cut off? Are you using Component cables? Does that nvidia driver have a screen resizing tool to get it to display correctly?

Yours apears to have turned out MUCH better than mine, so please do advise. Because I would love to give it another try, only have it work perfectly this time :thumbsup:

Very cool stuff dude!
    edited August 2005
    Hey Form Factor

The Nvida tool box is awesome. I had little to no trouble setting it up. My tv is a 16:9 aspect ratio so I set the screen res at 1600 x 900 and it was a little small so I used the "TV" tools and stretched it till it fit perfect. My desktop is something like 1652 x 925. I am playing Far Cry at 1600 x 900 if you look at the screen shots you can see that it does not quite fill the screen. But close enough. I had more trouble with Windows being readable at that resolution. I had to use all the options I could find to make stuff bigger.
    The 7800 has a HDTV dongle with component video outs that I am using and running at 1080i. I did try this before with my 9800 pro and the s-video out and did not have much luck.

Scott
    edited August 2005
    did you steal that from your school too?
    That was not nice. :cool:

And It's Scott's Birthday! , too... :shakehead :nudge::rant: :banghead:
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2005
    did you steal that from your school too?

What the hell is wrong with you ?

Where the hell did you get this idea.
    edited August 2005
    Gentlemen, that's enough.
    edited August 2005
    Everybody, please:

This is not a chat room. Take your private conversations elsewhere.

Like, in private, maybe. :cool:
  • fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited September 2005
    So is your tv connected to your pc with component connections or with a dvi cable? I just bought an hdtv and this looks like a sweet idea.
    Im guessing the tv is in 1080i mode?
    edited September 2005
    scott wrote:

.......The 7800 has a HDTV dongle with component video outs that I am using and running at 1080i.

Scott

Yes I am
  • fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited September 2005
    Do you guys think dvi input would work as well? I dont have a dongle but I was reading the manual, and it seems that dvi is only for output from digital cable or satelite. Any thoughts?
    edited September 2005
    I originally hooked it up a couple years ago with DVI and my 9800pro. There was no option for HDTV by using the DVI. it worked , but was not as good as the component hookup.

Scott