New DOOM Movie Trailer (with FPS view!?)

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited August 2005 in Internet & Media
Caught the new DOOM movie trailer on Yahoo. This has a bit more content than the "teaser" trailer. One thing I did notice.. an FPS view :eek: Not sure if thats gonna be cool or if it's going to suck.. what do you think..?

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/doom.html

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2005
    I hope the movie has more story (ie, some) than the game.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    bothered wrote:
    I hope the movie has more story (ie, some) than the game.

The game had a story?!
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2005
    The story went like this,
    10 enter room
    20 monsters appear
    30 jump and go 'arghhh'
    40 kill monsters
    50 goto 10
    then there was 4Gb of textures.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    bothered wrote:
    The story went like this,
    10 enter room
    20 monsters appear
    30 jump and go 'arghhh'
    40 kill monsters
    50 goto 10
    then there was 4Gb of textures.
    ahahahahahhahaa ;D

That's one of the best descriptions for DoomIII I think I've ever heard ;D
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2005
    That movie trailer looks teh poo. Is is just me or did it not seem like doom at all? Looks like a crappy second rate commando movie. And since when was doom about a failed gnome project, it was a hell gateway opening wasn't it? pfft.. All they did was take a crappy sci-fi movie, and add a chainsaw and a plasma rifle.

Plus the rock is in it.. Theres your first hint it's going to suck.. :mullet:
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2005
    you say its going to suck because it has the rock, but remind me what the last bad movie the rock did was?

he was in "Be Cool" which was hilarious
    he was in "Walking Tall" which is one of the better action movies I've seen, and also made me laugh
    and he was in "The Rundown" which was also pretty funny, and very good

granted, "The Scorpion King" was bad, but you've got to do one bad movie in your career
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    The rock is actually a pretty good actor. The movie "Be Cool" was awful, a travesty, one of the worst movies I've seen - EXCEPT for The Rock. His character was the movie's only saving grace, well maybe his and Cedric the Entertainer's.. But at any rate, he was freaking awesome in that movie, totally hilarious.

okay, fine, vince vaughn was also great in that movie.

But anyways, the movie sucked, the rock was really good in it, and I don't think having The Rock in a movie is a bad thing.

However, back on topic - doom the movie looks like complete crap. Aren't we all past the "pseudo-technical super flashy interface with lots of lines and moving numbers with scientific sounding terms like "dna mapping sequence initiated" computer thingy" thing?

And, oh, aren't we past the "catchy yet descriptive nicknames for all the squad members in the elite force" thing?

And the "lets have a tough guy say cool little phrases to show off what a badass he is, like 'say my name, baby'"

:rolleyes:

I think my kids are gonna love this movie.....
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2005
    I didn't actually watch the trailer, I just take offense to people saying the rock is a bad actor based primarily on the fact that he is/was a pro wrestler
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2005
    I don't have a problem with The Rock, but it just doesn't seem like he suits this type of movie (based on the story from the game). I would have expected a very haunting, dark atmosphere with a very quiet (and solo) main character. The rock is very out spoken, and better suited to comedies and the like.

He does look a little like the character in doom3 though. I think it's the hair line :D
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Yeah, "The Rock" is too forward. As you can see in Doom 3, Doom Marine isn't the most "In your face" person ever, heh.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    The Rock is probably the best new action star, plus he's a great actor, plus he's hillarious. He will probably be this movie's only saving grace. It would have been cool if they'd made it the true horror movie it should be, make it really dark, violent, disturbing, digusting, that's Doom. This looks like a run of the mill type movie, but I think The Rock will save it from becoming total crap. The FPS scenes are probably going to make some people vomit from motion sickness though ;D
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited August 2005
    The FPS view is cool, but if I were to guess I would say the movie will most likely suck. My reasoning behind this is, can anyone name a video game based movie that did not suck? Especially a horror game movie?

I am NOT a big fan of the rock.

I saw him on the Daily Show one night. John Stewart was like (John had either done his homework, or actually PLAYED Doom) "Doom huh? Do you get to shoot plasma guns?" and the rock replied with "Actually in the movie we are introducing a new gun called the BFG, if you can guess what that stands for". :rolleyes: I mean what a complete ****ing n00b. Could you at least PLAY the game to get into character, rather than looking like a complete a$$ on national television?

Be cool sucked (aside from Vince Vaughn's part of course)

Ill have to check out Walking Tall.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    First. There are no women in the Doom story. None. So if they want to do a love story, it's gotta be between the marine and a Mancubus or something, cause there are no women in the station... Infact, there really shouldn't be any other people (that are not zombies) any where in the story, although I understand the desire to give the main character someone to talk to (actually, now that I think of it, it might be cool to see the doom story as just one dude against the hoard (like in the game) and he doesn't even have any one to talk to, or to appreciate what he's doing, and at the end he gets teleported to hell (and is asked to purchase the full version...). Maybe dialog is what really changes these stories... Most of the games that we play have very silent protagonists, and this is something that Hollywood will never see clearly enough to allow... You can tell a story without gabbing about it the whole time... The Japanese know it.)

But, I digress...

What I think is interesting is that the site with the preview has a synopsis of the movie posted, and it sounds more like the game than the preview does.
    There's a level 5 quarantine at a remote scientific research station on Mars ... The research ... has unwittingly opened a door, and a legion of nightmarish creatures of unknown origin now stalks the countless rooms and tunnels of the facility, killing what few people remain.

It's poorly written, but it certainly sounds like the DOOM that we all know.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I like the turn off my brain action flicks, maybe it's just me, but I hate it when people are too analytical about an action movie, lots of time the plot falls apart and is ridiculous, but honestly if I go see this movie it's because I want to see The Rock fight hell demons with a chainsaw, and I'll leave totally satisfied.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    but... but... the intricacies of the DOOM plot are so... intricate... ... If you leave out one cacodeamon or chainsaw dude, the whole story is ruined!!

I'm so pissed that they don't have John Romero's head on a stick in a secret room at the end of the movie!!
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited August 2005
    CBDroege wrote:
    and at the end he gets teleported to hell (and is asked to purchase the full version...).

;D Good one! :thumbsup:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    10.21.05 ..."all hell breaks loose!"

ok you go see it first and give us a report! :D

I highly recommend the hi-def version here! ..."no one gets out alive!"
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    csimon wrote:
    10.21.05 ..."all hell breaks loose!"

ok you go see it first and give us a report! :D

I highly recommend the hi-def version here! ..."no one gets out alive!"

WindowsMediaHD or 720p or whatever the hell it is, damn that looks soo nasty, looks better than when I watch DVDs on my computer

(perhaps thats an obvious statement or something im not sure cause im not really a videophile, but I benchmark how sweet a video looks against DVDs on the computer cause its usually pretty high quality)
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I've seen worse (Wing Commander *sigh*) but the FPS view looked kinda cool. At least it was something new to a Hollywood movie, but I'm not sure how well it will work.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Every trailer I see makes it look worse.

1) The human genome has nothing to do with Doom.
    2) The atmosphere is all wrong.
    3) Too much ****ing dialogue in the trailer alone.
    4) FPS perspective was annoying.
    5) Since when did H&K have a G36 derivative in Doom?
    6) WTB weapons that look like their in-game counterparts.
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    edited August 2005
    I saw some footage for the third game and thought that they shouldn't have used blinn models...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    WOW - that hi def trailer looks fantastic (I mean the technical quality of the trailer, not the movie itself - i don't give a crap about the movie anymore ;)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    OK guys, I gotta come out of the closet here.

I dig these movies... I liked Wing Commander, I enjoyed many movies that were based on video games. I like simplistic movies that are not too engaging, I wanna be that guy who stops thinking while watching a movie and just drools over CG and explosions.... WHY?! Becuase if I want comething in-depth and get my mind rolling, I'll read a ****ing book! Which is enjoyable as well BTW, I highly recomend it. But movies to me are supposed to be the "let go and just have fun" type thing. There are so many movies I enjoyed that many didn't.

For example. When I came out of Starship troopers, almost everyone I know said that movie sucked! But for some reason when I talk to them now some think the movie was "ok..." or "awsome". WTF?! Change your minds? Same goes for others.

BTW I like the Rock, that dude's pretty awsome. He's my Arnold replacement, I hope to see him in a future Aliens Vs. Predator movie :thumbsup: