sata optical drives

MAGICMAGIC Doot DootFurniture City, Michigan Icrontian
edited August 2005 in Hardware
plex makes the only ones that i know of, anyone know why these havent caught on? are there problems with them?

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    My personal opinion is that they don't offer any real world performance advantages over their IDE counterparts and are quite a bit more costly. Besides, what else are you going to do with those IDE ports? :D I have all SATA HD's and both of my ROM drives are "masters" on the 2 IDE's. It works out quite well that way.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2005
    ' wrote:
    [V][AGIC']plex makes the only ones that i know of, anyone know why these havent caught on? are there problems with them?
    They haven't because most boards have problems with sata cd roms.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I have experience with the plextor sata drives, and I had a nightmare of a time trying to get the machine to recognize it. Make SURE your board supports the drive, that's all I have to say.

The only advantage I can see is cleaner cabling.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I have experience with the plextor sata drives, and I had a nightmare of a time trying to get the machine to recognize it. Make SURE your board supports the drive, that's all I have to say.

The only advantage I can see is cleaner cabling.

all i wanted it for was pretty much for cabling, but i had a gut fealing that i was having problems with it so i figured ide just ask. ill pass on it for now