Noob RAM question

PhantomphreakPhantomphreak Locally - Right Here on Earth
edited August 2005 in Hardware
I've got a Toshiba Satellite A70 (don't get me started on buyer's remorse) that I want to upgrade the RAM on. This will be the first time I have done this. I received a 1 GB RAM module as a gift recently and my comp has 256 (64 shared) mb factory installed and one "user-upgradable" memory slot. However, my system has a stated max RAM of 1 GB even.

So, I'm wondering: if I add this 1GB of RAM in the upgrade slot, will I cause problems being that I'm exceeding that max? If so, how difficult would it be to simply remove the factory installed RAM and replace it with the new module (keeping in mind I'm really quite new at this)?

Thanks so much for all the help.

Comments

• FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited August 2005
    There are a few "it depends" in this question. Firstly, is your gifted 1 GB ram module a SODIMM? If not, it'll probably make the other questions moot as it won't fit in the laptop anyway.

OK, lets assume it's a sodimm and it'll fit. I have never seen a 768 MB sodimm, so the 1 GB number for the max allowable ram seem a little odd if, in fact, the first 256 is soldered on the motherboard or simething like it. So, I would say the next step is to open that baby up and see exactly what lives inside. Keep in mind that the ram can be almost anywhere. For example, I upgraded the ram in my HP and couldn't for the life of me find the second slot until someone told me to look under the keyboard. No mention of it in the manual!

The upshot of all of this is that if it indeed will only take 1GB max, and you have a 1GB SoDimm, then you should be able to remove the 256 that's inside it now and replace that module, in the same slot, with the 1GB piece.

Anyone with experience with the A70 feel free to correct anything I have said!!

Good Luck,

Flint
  • PhantomphreakPhantomphreak Locally - Right Here on Earth
    edited August 2005
    Thanks for the response. I certainly hope it's not soldered to the motherboard, as I may be screwed in that case. I know it's an SODIMM, so it should fit with any luck.

Anybody have any ideas on what might happen if I just pop in the 1gb without removing the 256?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Probably a no-boot, reversable by taking out the 1 GB SODIMM.
    edited August 2005
    Thanks. I'll try to see if I can remove the installed RAM, then.
    edited August 2005
    A quick update: Figuring there was no permanent damage I could do, I simply installed the memory module in the expansion port. The computer booted up just fine, but when I checked my system specs to gaze upon the glory of my new memory, it still showed 192 mb (256-64 shared with video card). You can imagine my disappointment at this cruel taunting. I'm going to try to see if the module is soldered in place now (even though it will likely void my warranty).
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    Whatever you do, don't try desoldering anything. :eek:

Try going into the BIOS and see if there is a section like "Update Hardware Information" or something like that. Desktop PC's usually find new memory automatically, but I've seen a few laptops which need to be led by the hand.
    edited August 2005
    No such luck. The BIOS just has a section where it displays the memory (which, of course, still reads 192). Thanks for the idea, though.
    edited August 2005
    My (next) best guess is that there is a limit on the size of the ram in each slot.

Try using the Computer Memory Upgrade Configurator at this site and see what they say is compatible with your machine.

Most reputable places selling laptop memory will guarantee that it will work in your computer or they'll buy it back from you. Good luck. :)
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited August 2005
    Crucial shows a gig sodimm will fit and work. PC2700 CL2.5. It's here:

http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartspecs.Asp?mtbpoid=7DA0B2EDA5CA7304&WSMD=Satellite+A70+Series&WSPN=CT405626

Now I have no idea!! What are the specs of the 1 Gig stick you received as a present and do they match the specs at the Crucial site?
    edited August 2005
    I know for sure that the stick is pc2700, but I'm not sure about 2.5CL (I'm afraid I've never heard of that term). I ran Crucial's memory scanner and it tells me that, indeed, I do have 1536 mb max capacity (making me wonder why the notebook manufacturer says 1 gb). However, it reported something strange. It accurately reported the installed memory, but it stated that I only have one slot and it is currently used up by that installed memory.

Compounding the confusion, I ran another memory scan application and it tried to tell me that I've got 4 slots with a max of 384 mb apiece (which, despite the fact that I haven't opened the case yet, I'm sure is inaccurate).

However, I believe there may be a ray of hope: I read through Crucial's install guide and it says that when properly seated, only about 1/16" of the connectors should be visible. I'm pretty sure there was an awful lot more than that showing, so I'm going to try to re-seat it and see if it makes a difference.
    edited August 2005
    Alright, turns out I'm a goon. ;D The module just wasn't seated all the way. Re-seated it, and now I've got 1.12 GB of RAM (WOOHOO!!!!) :thumbsup:
    edited August 2005
    It's always the little things... :mullet:

Glad you got it going - you're going to see a big difference with that much of a jump in RAM. :D