Help

edited August 2005 in Hardware
I have built computers for a while for the kids that are in the local area. My aunt sent her laptop (WHICH I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT) to change the grinding and rattling hard drive. I replaced the hard drive and made sure the computer recognized the new hard drive. I accidentally installed the windows 98 versus the windows 2000 which is my preferred program. I formatted the windows 98 out and tried to install the windows 2000 NOTHING. I can't get into the DOS The computer is a pentium III and has 600mhz. The hard drive was new and 10 gig (What my aunt wanted) The brand is a Gateway solo 3500. The CD and Floppy disk are not in the computer. Oh my son went in and changed a bunch of the settings before the computer came to me. I thought about taking the internal battery and putting it back. Does anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone know where to download the Bios Flash. Bonifaico

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    Can you give us more details?

What file system did you reformat the drive in, Fat32 or NTFS? When you say you can't get into DOS, what have you tried? If the drive is in NTFS that's not going to get you very far, anyway.

What is the brand and model# of the laptop?

We'll be glad to help you all we can. :)
  • edited August 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Can you give us more details?

What file system did you reformat the drive in, Fat32 or NTFS? When you say you can't get into DOS, what have you tried? If the drive is in NTFS that's not going to get you very far, anyway.

What is the brand and model# of the laptop?

We'll be glad to help you all we can. :)

The file system is in FAT and the brand laptop is Gateway solo 3500. I was able to enter dos with a boot up disk for dos but it won't let me fdisk or format or anything so basically I am in the same boat I started. I know once I fix this I will stick to desktops.LOL
    Bonifacio
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    The CD and Floppy disk are not in the computer.
    Are they USB devices? You might want to go into the BIOS and check the boot order, particularly saying "Yes" to Boot other devices if that's an option. Try and set your cdrom drive as the first boot device, if possible.

Since you've mentioned trying to format, I'm assuming there is no data on the drive you want to keep. If I'm mistaken - don't do the following: :p

If you can get the BIOS to cooperate, try booting from the Win2K CD. You may have more luck formatting the partition from there. There are other options you can try if you're still having no luck at that point, including the Win2K Recovery Console. Let us know how it goes. :)