*How do I split a movie into parts?*

edited August 2005 in Internet & Media
Hello everyone. I have a large video file that I would like to split into parts, can someone suggest a programme to download?

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    If you have WinME or XP, then you have Windows Movie Maker. It's a pretty crappy program for editing, but it can split up a monvie into parts pretty easy.

Just open the video file in WMM, and it will actually break it into 'scenes' on it's own. If it doesn't break it up where you need it, you can use the limited editing functions to do it yourself.

It would be easier and better than anything that you could legally download.
  • edited August 2005
    I just tried that and it split it into 36 parts. I was thinking more like 3 parts.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    If it's an avi, you could try VirtualDub (not sure what other formats it can handle).
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Right, you can use the limited editing functions of WMM to put those 36 parts back into the three parts that you wanted. It will allow you to do a few cutting and assembling functions, you just have to play with it.
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited August 2005
    CBDroege wrote:
    If you have WinME or XP, then you have Windows Movie Maker. It's a pretty crappy program for editing, but it can split up a monvie into parts pretty easy.

Just open the video file in WMM, and it will actually break it into 'scenes' on it's own. If it doesn't break it up where you need it, you can use the limited editing functions to do it yourself.

It would be easier and better than anything that you could legally download.

Easier behaps but not better - and thee are many many free legit programs that can do the task, such as TMPGEnc, they just have a steeper learning curve.

For more info on splitting movies and other files look at the best site for such resources http://www.dvdrhelp.com
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Please tell me what the extension of the file is, and if you can, what codec it was compressed with.