External DVD not accessible on Laptop

TherealpizzakingTherealpizzaking Northwest MO
edited August 2005 in Hardware
Hey all. Did a search and couldn't find what I'm looking for. I've got a Sager 8880 Notebook computer w/ a cd/dvd drive that will not read. I needed to load some new software so I plugged in my Maddog external DVD/cd drive.

All goes as planned, windows recognizes it (USB connection), and tells me the device is working properly.

Icon shows up in My Computer, but says it is not accessible when I try to open it. Computer will send eject command, but will not read or write to the drive.

WHat gives? Also, I would like to replace the defunct drive in the laptop. Is this something I can do myself? I've only had one other laptop apart before and it didn't seem to hairy at the time, but that was several years ago and it was a MAC to boot. I've replaced all sorts of stuff on regular desktop units.

THanks in advance for helping...

P

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    your external drive be be "defunct" and as far as replacing the internal one inside the laptop, the dificulty on that depends if it is a modular bay. if it is, all you have to do is buy a new drive pull the old one out and put the new one in. Modulay bays are meant to be changed easily so all you have to do is pull with SOME force and it should pop right out. if it doesnt come out pretty easily stop there, cause its not modular. To replace a normal laptop drive there should be some screws (pretty vague huh?) that you need to take out and then take the keyboard out...and some other jaz...ill let someone else walk you through it if your gonna go that route.