Pimpin my ride....errr case.

jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
edited September 2005 in Hardware
Ok, this is my first big case mod. I'm actually modifying an old AT case to fit ATX.

Ingredients:

1 Gateway p-133 case. This thing is a hog. Its over 2 FT high and over a foot long. Has 2 sets of drive bays, one in front and one over the PSU. case itself is probably 15yrs old.

1 Window kit from Frozen CPU.

3 120mm fans

2 80mm Fans

2 blue cold cathodes

1 red UV activated Mandalorian symbol for the Window (Yes I'm a StarWars geek)

I'll try to get some pics tonight and throughout the process.

What I've done so far:

1. Gutted the case.
2. Took out the Gateway support strut and lower HDD rack.
3. Cut out the rectangle for the mobo plugs and plug faceplate.
4. Cut out a hole for the 80mm blowing fan next to the upper HDD rack (this is where my drives are gonna go)

5. Cut out a hole in the front for a 120mm sucking fan.

Whats left to do:

1. Figure out where the other 2 120mm fans are going to go. I'm thinking one above the window (blowing out) and one blow the window (sucking in) if space permits. I may even put in 2 80mm at the top and the 2 120mm at the bottom since we want more cold air moved in pusing the warm air up.

2. Painting the case. Going to make the case black.

3. Putting the window in.

4. hooking up the cathodes and putting the Mandalorian UV sticker on the window.

5. Putting everything else in.

I havent decided what other work I'm going to do to it...but I know this isnt it. I have a Slave1 ship I bought back in 97 that I wanna intigrate into it somehow, like make a stand for it to sit on top or even put it on the front (Not like there isnt enough room).

I'll update as I progress.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    Pics! :D

I still have the case my first computer came in (I'm too sentimental to throw it out), and plan to do an AT>>ATX conversion of my own. It will be nice to see what you come up with along those lines.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited August 2005
    My only problem is to figure out how I'm gonna do a power switch. This old mama had a PSU with the power switch build onto it, so I dont have one to work with.

Anyone got any ideas?
    edited August 2005
    ATX power is turned on by temporarily shorting two pins on the MB. You can buy a momentary single-pole pushbutton switch at radio shack for about 79 cents. Drill a hole to mount it on the front of the case, then run a wire to each of the two pins on the MB and you're set. :thumbsup:
    edited August 2005
    Nice.

I thought about using a couple of those big red plunger buttons (Something like you see on the origional StarTrek) for a on/off and reset.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited September 2005
    Or those big jet fighter switches with the safety cover. Nobody wants to fire rockets..err.. their system up at the wrong time :D

Sounds like a cool project, lets see some pics! :thumbsup:
    edited September 2005
    lemonlime wrote:
    Or those big jet fighter switches with the safety cover...
    I've seen some mods like that and they are awesome. :D
    Sounds like a cool project, lets see some pics! :thumbsup:
    Most definitely!
    edited September 2005
    I've got my graphics dept here at work fixing me up with the symbol off Boba Fett's chest piece as my graphic for the non-window side of the case. So far the prototypes have been awesome!

Anyhow, got the hole for the window made lastnight and finished cutting out the openings for the 120mm fans in the front panel. I've ordered some modders mesh so I can cover that part of the panel and put my switches on a custom piece I'm making out of galvanized aluminun. I've just got to learn how to work with Modders Mesh to get it to flow like I want it to.

I did get a chance to sand the case down lastnight, and that wasnt very fun...but its done now atleast :)