Athlon64 3200+
1GB DDR 400 (2x512)
80GB SATA
400W Powersupply

Previously had that was added:

ATI Radeon 9800PRO All-in-wonder
DVD+/-RW Drive
WD JB250GB (P)ATA

In the bios, it shows the SATA drive, but using the Windows XP Pro CD, it will not recognize the SATA drive. Temp solution: borrow a friends IDE drive (seeing as how my 250GB has all my backup on it, and don't want to reformat it), and install Windows XP on the IDE. Even in Windows, no "unknown devices" and still only shows the 2 IDEs (my friend's 60GB, and my 250GB)... Any ideas?

Comments

• maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited August 2005
    When installing Windows XP on a SATA drive you need to have the drivers for the SATA controller on a floppy disk so that windows will regonize it. Did a disk come with the hard drive? When installing Windows XP and you see the part where it says press F6 if you need to install 3rd party or raid drivers, press F6 and you would let it search the floppy disk for the correct drivers to use. Make sure you get the right ones for the controller you have the SATA cable plugged into.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    The floppy disk would have come with the Motherboard, not the Hard Drive. If one didn't then you need to download the SATA driver for your machine and put it in a floppy disk (it will be the folder with an oem.txt file next to it in the drivers archive).
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited August 2005
    ahhh yes you are right Enverex, sorry was a little sleepy when i wrote that.
  • edited August 2005
    Hmm... only problem is that i don't have an internal floppy, just an external USB floppy... wonder if that would work... (i'll post a reply if it does)
  • edited August 2005
    Hi,
    I'm using this thread because my problem is related to this problem. I could install the XP on my new PC. But unfortunatelly, I'm having a problem while it's booting. The error message it shows is the following:

"Hardware initiate failed, please check device!!!
    The bios does not be installed. Pres <g> to continue"

It has a mobo Asus K8V-X with a HDD SATA Samsung HD080HJ. Before I installed the Windows XP, of course, the BIOS didn't recognize it. But, as you already know, I installed it as a SCSI or RAID disk with F6 utility at the XP Setup and it worked just fine.

Well, the strange thing is, that when I turn it on, it shows this message. After that, I restart it with Ctrl-Alt-Del and magically it recognize the disk...
    What could be wrong?

I tried a lot of things and searched around the web but I coundn't find a clear answer.
    Hope you help me.

Thanx in advance.

Best regards,

Pablo
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2005
    Asus A8V Deluxe
    Storage:
    South Bridge
    - 2 x UltraDMA 133/100/66/33
    - 2 x Serial ATA, support RAID 0, RAID 1, and JBOD

Promise 20378 RAID controller
    - 1 x UltraDMA 133/100/66/33
    - 2 x Serial ATA
    - Support RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, and Multiple RAID

Some where in your BIOS is a setting in Enable/Disable SATA Raid for both the VIA & Promise raid controllers

With a my old Abit KV7 (KT600 / 8237) In the BIOS I had to ENABLE the SATA RAID setting in order to use the SATA ports at all even in a non Raid configuration. (Disable Raid, Disabled the VIA SATA Ports completely)
    Sold the board to a friend, it's currently running a Raptor and a Seagate SATA drives. Didn't need drivers to install to SATA drives.

With my Abit AV8 (K8T800 Pro / 8237) In the BIOS I Had to DISABLE the SATA Raid setting in order to use the SATA ports individually. In order to use SATA Raid I had to Enable the Raid Setting (VIA SATA ports always on)

VIA Sata/Raid Drivers
  • edited September 2005
    Well, an update for those keep tabs on this post...

Windows XP will recognize the SATA drive now that i enabled RAID mode in the BIOS, but only after boot up. I have downloaded 2 different drivers from ASUS.com and neither of them will allow the windows installation program to install on the SATA. I guess Windows XP just isn't designed to be installed on a SATA... *sigh*
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    You are trying to do this properly aren't you? It needs to be on a floppy disk and it needs to be set up properly, you can't just bung the drivers on the disk...
    edited September 2005
    Shaxar wrote:

Windows XP will recognize the SATA drive now that i enabled RAID mode in the BIOS, but only after boot up. I have downloaded 2 different drivers from ASUS.com and neither of them will allow the windows installation program to install on the SATA. I guess Windows XP just isn't designed to be installed on a SATA... *sigh*
    Shaxar wrote:

I've installed WINXP on a Raptor SATA Drive with a DFI NF4, Epox NF3 and Abit VIA K8T800 Pro motherboards.

Are you Using the Promise or the VIA Sata Ports?

You need a Floppy Drive! (It's stupid but it's necessary - you have to buy/borrow one)
    You need to hit "F6" when installing (almost immediately) and insert a floppy drive with the necessary drivers (when prompted). The VIA drivers are below. Unzip em and put them on a floppy. The TXTSetup.OEM file sas to be in the root diretory. Install both the PIDE and the Raid Drivers. The VIA SATA ports are here
  • edited September 2005
    Yes, all the drivers i have downloaded have the little "make disk" program for use when installing Windows XP on a SATA drive. I do have an internal floppy drive now that is borrowed from a friend's old pc. In any case, i found the solution. There are 2 different sets of SATA ports as shown above, and with that there are 3 sets of drivers. First one is for just Regular SATA on the VIA controller. Second is for RAID on Promise controller, and Third is for something else. I was using the wrong drivers for the VIA controller. Anyways, you guys are awesome and thanks a million for all your help... apparently, i'm not the only one having this issue. The motherboard seems to be very picky lol

Thanks again!
  • edited September 2005
    Hi !
    Well, about the problem I was having with my new PC (an error message saying the Bios was not installed), it was due the jumpers were not properly set. The DVD Writer was set as Master and the disk as CS (Cable Select) and the only thing I did was to change the jumper from the DVD to the Disk and put it as it was shown in the disk cover.
    I wasn't able to open the PC because of the warranty. But after my claim by phone, they let me open it.
    Hope this would help someone in the future.
    Thanx a lot.
  • jeff92677jeff92677 Laguna Niguel, CA
    edited September 2005
    Well, here's a solution that doesn't need a floppy drive, but needs a lot of patience.

Required tools: SYSPREP (I have v 2 dated around 8/29/02, tried to attach but it's just over 1 meg), Windows XP CD, MaxBlast 4 (or something to copy partitions - Seagate has a 10 meg download of their tools that work with Maxtor, Seagate, probably WD), A8V motherboard CD, ATA drive for initial install.

BIOS settings (for regular SATA drive use, no RAID)
    OnChip SATA Bootrom: Enabled
    OnBoard Promise Controller: Disabled

I booted to the XP install disk and installed Windows on ATA drive.

Then Created a "utility" directory on C drive

Put the required VIA drivers in a directory in "RAID-Drivers) in "utility"
    viaraid.cat 11/7/2003
    VIASRAID.INF 10/30/2003
    VIARAID.SYS 10/30/2003

Put SYSPREP files in another subdirectory (called Sysprep)
    (I tried all this without using SYSPREP, copying the Windows installation
    to the SATA drive, but it never got beyond the initial blue screen with
    XP logo. I've seen this before - Windows does not like being moved from
    one hardware setup to another, although some have had luck doing this
    without SYSPREP, on my installation, it didn't work)

Upgrade to SP2 (I did it on the ATA drive)

Windows finds new hardware somewhere in this process, browse to the
    "C:\utility\RAID-Dreivers" directory

When things are installed and working, you shoud be able to "see" the SATA drives with "Manage" (right click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management)

I created a 40 Gbyte partition on the SATA drive (I make small Boot partitions, and large data partitions - easier to backup and manage)

I then Ran SYSPREP (the EXE file)

Sysprep will ask what you want to do.
    Choose "Factory" and you don't need to generate new security identifiers
    System will shut down after it prepares itself to be moved

Reboot with MAXBLAST CD (or something that will allow partition copying).
    I used Maxblast 4 for this purpose.

Dig around for the "Partition copy" utility feature and copy the partition from the ATA drive to the SATA drive partition you created.

When done, shut down.
    Remove the ATA drive
    Startup system and DEL to enter BIOS setting to assure that SATA drive is to be used as first boot device.

When things boot, voila, it boots on the SATA drive, with a message "Please wait" in small print.

DON'T PANIC (boldly printed on every copy of hitchhiker's guide)

Soon windows will show the sysprep window and ask you what to do.

Hit the "RESEAL" button (don't create new security identifiers, but it will complain if you forget to check the "don't" box)

System shuts down (again, no reason for concern)

Startup again, more "Please wait" then you're asked for the same Disk Key
    you used to install the ATA version above. Put it in.

Wait some additional time.

Then login, and you're done.

And maybe you learned the secret or two about "Sysprep" or at least that it serves a purpose when copying Windows installations from drive to drive.

Jeff

PS I haven't posted here prior to this, so I apologize if this isn't very exciting or interesting, or even useful.

Oh, one final thing: I also have a Gigabyte motherboard with SATA support, and Windows XP had no trouble at all finding and installing to the SATA drive. What is probably needed is a loader added to the SATA drive that fixes the disk table info in the BIOS data area so that XP can recognize the SATA drives during initial installation, since it works fine with the Gigabyte Motherboard. But the ASUS Socket 939 board is now working fine. Had I put in a floppy drive, I could have simplified the installation, but I have removable ATA bays on this system, so it wasn't that hard to deal with ATA first, and partition copy to the SATA (after Sysprep).
  • edited February 2006
    pdgimenez wrote:
    Hi !
    Well, about the problem I was having with my new PC (an error message saying the Bios was not installed), it was due the jumpers were not properly set. The DVD Writer was set as Master and the disk as CS (Cable Select) and the only thing I did was to change the jumper from the DVD to the Disk and put it as it was shown in the disk cover.
    I wasn't able to open the PC because of the warranty. But after my claim by phone, they let me open it.
    Hope this would help someone in the future.
    Thanx a lot.

I too am having similar problems we are trying to install winxp
    mobo epox gforce6100N with wd sata 160g 7200

we have gone through every scenario, th f6 thingy, windows starts up and the bios does recognize the hd but it gets so far and bsod. Says unmountable_boot_device . Any help with this would be awesome!!!!
    edited February 2006
    I too am having similar problems we are trying to install winxp
    mobo epox gforce6100N with wd sata 160g 7200

we have gone through every scenario, th f6 thingy, windows starts up and the bios does recognize the hd but it gets so far and bsod. Says unmountable_boot_device . Any help with this would be awesome!!!!
    Which EPoX motherboard? Socket A or Athlon64? VIA, Nvidia NF3 or NF4? Single Harddrive or Raid 0/1 Install?