Wireless Network Problems

Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
edited August 2005 in Hardware
Recently I installed a wireless network for a office along with DSL for internet access. They already had a wired network going to computers that needed to be connected to a server for a program called SDM. There is a SDM client program that is on most of the workstations that connects out to the server for the database.

I did leave the wired network intact once I installed the wireless as a fallback incase of issues with the wireless and for the reason that I didn't want to change the network configuration of this program.(nor did they)

Both networks are manually configured for IP addresses. The wired is 10.0.0.*, with the server being 10.0.0.1; and the wireless is 192.168.1.* with the VPN router being 192.168.1.1(the dsl modem is attacted to the router) They do plan to setup a VPN in the future but the problem lies internally.

According to the tech support for SDM the program is configured to use the wired network. The thing is when I enable wireless, SDM slows to a crawl or doesn't load at all and is unable to find the server. The weird part is that it will work for awhile then this happens, but it doesn't seem to happen to all the computers.(all of which have XP)

I am guessing for whatever reason the SDM program is trying to go out to the internet over the wireless network and that is causing the speed/can't find SDM server issues.

I did talk to someone and they mentioned entering routes into the computers.(from the command line) I played around with for a bit but I couldn't get it to work for me. Is there anything I can do with the host file?

I need to get SDM to stick with the wired network (10.0.0.*) and if there is a way I can do this it would be GREATLY appreciated if someone could shed some light on how to do it. Much thanks in advance.