Random loss of internet connection

edited September 2005 in Science & Tech
I was playing Battlefield 2 lastnight and I use the Battlefield 2 AutoLoader to join a game with my friends.

I checked to see if I had internet by opening up Mozzilla and I did.

I start Battlfield 2 and when I try to log in it tells me it cannot connect to account server and locks up. So I quit Battlfield 2 and AutoLoader.

I go to Mozilla/Internet Explorer and I have no internet Connection.

I use ipconfig and I get my ip address and all my informaiton. ( I am useing a router, connected to another router, connected to a Print server router, and then connected to the cable modem.) Then I went to Connections and did a repair on my local LAN and then I restarted my computer because it still wouldn't connect.

After restarting I was able to play BF2 perfectly, and then after I finished my rounds and quit the game and tryed to access the internet I lost connection again. When I looked at network connections everything appeared to be normal. Packet flow and everything looks like I have an internet connection and it is not low or anything like that. I looked on my router(linkskeys?) and the orange light was not showing. So I did a repair again then resarted.

After the restart the orange light came on (this is normally what it looks like when I have a good interet connection) I look at My connections LAN and Internet and I know I have an internet connection because everything is matching up and when I use IPconfig/all everything shows up.

So I also tried to get a connection with my XBOX and it says DNS not resolved(or cannot find one).which is also hooked up to my router.

The other computers that are not hooked directly to my router but the other router work fine. I never had any problems until last night (8/30/05) I really need to know what is going on, because what is happening is really strange. I mean how can it look like you have an active connection(DNS and everything found using IPconfig/all, Connection packets matching up sending and recieving is matching up. But when you try to access the internet through Mozzilla, Internet Explorer, AIM, MSN messenger, and XBOX LIVE nothing works not even after a Full shutdown and restart? :scratch:

Comments

• deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited September 2005
    That's bizarre, one of my machines did exactly the same thing starting yesterday morning, kept losing the internet connection but everything looked fine (ipconfig, dns etc..). I was thinking it might be the wireless card in that machine but now I'm starting to wonder if there's a virus doing the rounds or something :s

edit: that machine also has BF2 on it, but internet dropped out when not playing BF2.
  • edited September 2005
    Alright I asked my networking friend/boss and guess what he said?

He told me that maybe bf2 made your internet connection go blank.stop. not let you the user access the internet.

Solution to the problem.
    Run ipconfig/all
    then ipconfig/release
    then ipconfig/renew

Powerdown your machine

Unplug your modem and leave it unplugged for about 10min.

Then plug it back in and turn on your machine.

Then you should have a connection.
    :thumbsup:

Good luck let me know if it works.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited September 2005
    heh, thanks for the idea but I've worked in support and that's the standard response for any networking problem... that doesn't fix this problem.

Also, I wasn't precise enough before, this machine can be booted from cold and not have an internet connection from the start, without playing bf2.

one weird thing, even though everything looks fine, if you try to do a release / renew on the adaptor you get 'no network adaptors in a state in which this command can be carried out' or something like that....
  • edited September 2005
    I take that back it keeps happening and everyone looses connection...

The problem is not solved completely...

Have you tried using a static IP address