SMx Fundraiser

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited January 2006 in Folding@Home
The SMx fund is getting a bit low, what with all the shipping of computers and parts all over the world for the SMx project ;)

If you have a spare $10 or $20 to paypal to accounts at short dash media dot com, it would be truly appreciated and would help the team out tremendously. Mark it "SMx fund donation". We still have a bunch more SMx rigs to give away!

If you don't have cash to spare, remember we are always accepting qualifying parts donations as well :)

Thanks everyone! :thumbsup:

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    And remember, it doesn't HAVE to be $10 or $20... If you have a freaking spare $2 that would be awesome.

If every member of this site donated $2, we'd have... oh, around $26,000 and we'd buy a few folding farms ;D

even a dollar would help! Come on, that's like the cost of a can of coke or something :)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2005
    Everyone send Uncle Prime your spare change. I want to see him walk into a bank with rolls of change. Hahaha!
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    would a celeron socket 370 1100mhz be worth anything?...

1100/128/100/1.75V
    Celeron SL5XU

ive meant to get a mobo and fold with this oh about a year ago and totally forgot i had it until i did some cleaning
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited September 2005
    I'll donate the $2.00 I get from profdlp when he pays me for the Zalman case badge :)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    I won't hold onto the 1337 processor too long then. If that thing finds a new host every month, that's enough to buy and ship a cheap case from Newegg every month :thumbsup:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    I'll donate the $2.00 I get from profdlp when he pays me for the Zalman case badge :)
    I'll tell you what, Pilotwings. Rather than let Paypal and the Post Office take a cut of this, how about if I just keep the $2 here and subtract it from the cost of sending the rig I'll be shipping in the next day or two?

In fact, I'll bump that to $10 with eight bucks of my own. Your $2 donation with the extra dough I'll add will probably be about enough to cover the cost of shipping the MB, RAM, CPU, HD, etc for the whole thing. :thumbsup:

The Case and PSU are shipped separately and cost more than all the rest combined. Anything the rest of the team can contribute toward that would be very much appreciated. :)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Wheee!!! twobuxtwobuxtwobuxtwobux!!! nooo!!! lionsinabucketatetwobux!!! giveitbackgiveitbackgiveitback!!! dontworryitllbeoutbytomorrow!!! yaaaay!
    edited September 2005
    Thanks for the donation, CB :)
    edited September 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    I'll tell you what, Pilotwings. Rather than let Paypal and the Post Office take a cut of this, how about if I just keep the $2 here and subtract it from the cost of sending the rig I'll be shipping in the next day or two?

In fact, I'll bump that to $10 with eight bucks of my own. Your $2 donation with the extra dough I'll add will probably be about enough to cover the cost of shipping the MB, RAM, CPU, HD, etc for the whole thing. :thumbsup:

The Case and PSU are shipped separately and cost more than all the rest combined. Anything the rest of the team can contribute toward that would be very much appreciated. :)
    gosh my stupid email notifications aren't working. i'm glad i saw this.

yeah thats fine I guess. Just PM me your address and I'll get the sticker out to you today or tomorrow (depending on how fast you are at PMing me :p)
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited September 2005
    Donation sent :thumbsup:
    edited September 2005
    Thanks guys! :)
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Funds sent

Scott
    edited September 2005
    Wow way to go, guys :)

What do the donation totals look like?
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited September 2005
    My parents don't like me using their paypal account otherwise I would donate some money.

I have a 256mb stick of pc2700 laying around my room somewhere. Im looking for it right now. If i find it could you guys use it for folding rigs? Pm me to give me more info if you guys need it.
    edited September 2005
    Man I can't imagine life without PayPal ;D

Once I get all my bills paid and checks cashed and whatnot, I'll look at what I can afford to donate :)
    edited September 2005
    tmh88 wrote:
    ...I have a 256mb stick of pc2700...
    Check out the Donating Parts section (left-hand column) of the SMx Project page. You can send me a PM with any questions you may have. :)

Decent RAM like that is one of our crucial needs - that donation alone might be enough to finish off another rig. :thumbsup:
    edited September 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Check out the Donating Parts section (left-hand column) of the SMx Project page. You can send me a PM with any questions you may have. :)

Decent RAM like that is one of our crucial needs - that donation alone might be enough to finish off another rig. :thumbsup:

Alright nvm, I just found it. It ran fine im my last system, so im guessing it still works just as well. I think its like 3 years old :scratch: None the less it still should work, and ill test it in my computer sometime tonight.
    edited September 2005
    tmh88 wrote:
    ...I just found it...
    :celebrate

RAM, HD's, and MB's are our most critical needs right now. This will help a bunch. :D
    edited September 2005
    Thanks everyone! :)

Today we had $27 donated. It usually costs about $40-$50 to ship a complete rig (that includes buying a new case + PSU and shipping it, plus shipping the rest of the components from Prof's house), so we've got half of shipping the next rig covered.

Thank you all for your generosity! :thumbsup:
    edited September 2005
    I have a 10 gig Maxtor that came with an xbox. I unlocked it and formatted it, so it should work fine. I do alot of xbox modding so i have a ton of spare parts, but as of now only 1 hd. I'll see if i can get 98 or xp installed on it just to check.

do you think that this hard drive could be put to use? may not be the best but it works....i think
    edited September 2005
    working hard drives are a critical part of the SMX project, and something we don't get enough of. If you donated one, that would be SO cool.

10gb is way more than enough for an SMx rig. Most of them have 4 or 6 gig drives. All it needs to do is hold an OS. Hell, I can put a dedicated linux folding machine on a 540mb hard drive ;)
    edited September 2005
    tmh88 wrote:
    ...I'll see if i can get 98 or xp installed on it just to check...
    Even better, get the diagnostic test from the HD manufacturer and run that. You could temporarily stick the drive in your computer and run the test from there.

I'll be more than happy to test the drive here, but I hate to see someone spend postage on a drive with bad sectors.
    ..do you think that this hard drive could be put to use?...
    Absolutely! :D
    edited September 2005
    I'll try the hd tommorow, i have to get up for school. I'll post back after school (around 5ish cause i have some stuff to do), but i hope to get it working.
  • chipatkinsonchipatkinson San Antonio Texas
    edited September 2005
    Do I send the donation to short-media.com or short dash media dot com? I'm not very experienced with paypal...have used it for a couple of ebay transactions is all.
    edited September 2005
    Do I send the donation to short-media.com or short dash media dot com? I'm not very experienced with paypal...have used it for a couple of ebay transactions is all.
    The accounts at short dash media dot com is a disguised email address to foil spambots (computers which scan webpages looking for email addresses, then add them to their list of people to be spammed). Replace the words at, dash, and dot with the corresponding symbols (no spaces anywhere) so it looks like a standard email address:

nospam@no-spam.com
    edited September 2005
    Thank you for the donation, Crypto! :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    One cash donation on the way.

I've also got an old Gigabyte GA7-DX motherboard that I won from the "AMD ME" promotion back in 2001 that's been running practically 24/7 without a glitch since then... It was in my mother-in-law's PC for a few years, and she has 7 dogs, so I have to clean it very thoroughly, but I will be sending it prof's way. :thumbsup:
    edited September 2005
    awesome! Thanks for the donations! :D
  • chipatkinsonchipatkinson San Antonio Texas
    edited September 2005
    Thanks for the explantion and instructions. Donation sent. Thanks for all y'all do to help the team! :thumbsup:
    edited September 2005
    Thank you very much for your donation, chip! :)