3540 = Industrial Coaster Maker

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited September 2005 in Hardware
alrighty,..ive been in the market of producing plastic coaster for about 4 disc now. First disc I burned on it is fine, after that, every time i try to burn a disc in nero it gets to the lead in and after that says "burn process failed at xx." starting to get mad, cant figure it out... :confused: I really hope that this is not a faulty drive cause i dont want to pay for an rma.....hoping its a software issue.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    What are you burning?
    What kind of discs?
    What settings are you using?
    What version of nero?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    DVD+R 4x
    ISO Files
    Nero 6 //edit// ultra edition
    disc at once, gonna try track at once.
    no multisessoion, finalize

hangs either at the very end of the lead in, or at data2.cab
    edited September 2005
    well...i tried hp media instead of teon media and its appearing to burn...almost done. hopeing for the best. will let you know if I can burn 4 gb of data with no probs shortly...EDIT...alright...im pissed....tried hp media and backed the speed from 8 to 4 with no luck...cant figure this one out...burned one disc and said no to three others...im getting pissed. what is the deal...i shouldve bought a better burner...
    edited September 2005
    The burner is the best in the world. You probably have a dud, or whatever you're burning is bad.

Try a memorex disc, and make your own CD image to burn.
    edited September 2005
    so if its a dud, am i gonna have to pay shipping/restocking fees, cause thats bs if I do, might as well buy another one after all that. I tried a memorex cd earlier for audio and wouldnt work in my car. will try for data.

:EDIT:

what are the chances of it burning a cd, reading a cd and reading a dvd, but not burning a dvd. ? does it use seperate lasers?...cause its doing everything except what i want it to...burn a damn dvd+r.... nothing goes right when i need it to.

When the burn fail is when its about ready to buffer up. it goes ahead and buffers when burning a cd, but never buffers when burning a dvd, or does it so quickly nothing shows on the program. does that mean anything...
    edited September 2005
    Everything uses the same laser. Every burn type buffers.
    edited September 2005
    now its burning an hp disc at 2x...why is it doing this do one disc not the next three...cant figure it out..

Im hoping that after i manage to get my backup disc burned and a clean install of xp on my new baracuda these issues go away...I did some prayin in the bathtub and that usually helps. :p
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    Everything uses the same laser. Every burn type buffers.

I thought DVD-RWs had 4 lasers. One for CD-Reading, one for writing, one for DVD reading and one for DVD writing.... that probably isn't correct but I'm sure everyone isn't done on the same laser...
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2005
    I have a similar problem with my 3540, burning with several types of media. I've been troubleshooted on CDfreaks with no help at all. I think there are MANY 3540 duds out there. for example, my drive occassionally likes DVD+Rs and won't work with DVD-Rs, and sometimes its the other way around
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    I had the same problem on my 3520A with Nero 6.1 and 6.2 but an update to Nero fixed it. It was mostly with ISO image burns that were too many layers deep. Roxio and other burning progs worked just fine as now does the current retail Nero 6.6. I think it is more of a Nero bug than the burner itself.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited September 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    The burner is the best in the world. You probably have a dud, or whatever you're burning is bad.

Try a memorex disc, and make your own CD image to burn.

That burner is not the best in the world. It is the cheapest for its quality. Id put my Plextor 716 series up against it any day of the week. :thumbsup:
    edited September 2005
    alright...i thought maybe nero was the problem last night, so i grabbed the latest roxio and it burned 8 DVD's no problem. so until further notice i am placing the blame on nero and not NEC
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2005
    I'll have to try this out
    edited September 2005
    hopefully i can get home soon and install xp to my new barraccuda and go through the tweak guide. and have some overclocking fun tommorrow since im out of school for labor day...woot woot :thumbsup:
    edited September 2005
    Gobbles wrote:
    That burner is not the best in the world. It is the cheapest for its quality. Id put my Plextor 716 series up against it any day of the week. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, the NEC burners have consistently proved victorious over both Plextor and Sony models, which have, in the past, been the clear leaders. You may be inclined to put it up against the NEC, but I assure you the NEC has more accurate burns, and is more compatible across a wide variety of set-top boxes.