Trying to install xp on SATA

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited September 2005 in Hardware
ok, this isnt unbootable, but its pretty damn near close.

right now im booting on a 60 gig ide maxtor, and i have it set up to dual boot, xp on F:/ and 2000 on C:/, after i installed my new sata drive (250 gig barracudda) it will boot into xp but not 2000. I get a stop code that says the boot disk is unaccessable.

I am trying to install only xp to the new drive and format the old one to use as storage. I have the drive set up, I did the utility from seagates website that set your drive up over the web, and now i can see the drive in xp, and it shows up in the bios too, because its the only drive capable of 238,000 mb.

but when i run the xp boot disks, (cd wont boot for some reason) it gets to press enter to install and then says that no hard drvies are installed???

I ran the win. 2000 install cd to see if it would do it too and it does. I cant figure out why it says NO hard drives are installed? this is freaking me out, and i need some help....(i know, me...need help) I know that both drives are in deed installed and functioning because i have used them on the windows side, but the xp install cant seem to find anything. :scratch::confused:

Comments

• edited September 2005
    When you install XP you need to hit F6 at the prompt to install the drivers for SATA, these should be on a floppy or CD that came with your motherboard.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    i figured it out, but im out at the farm on a 21.6 kb/s dial up line 20 miles out of town, and I gotta get home to finish the install, figured it out right before i left, but i did get something out of being out here today.

I got visual.net studio