A little help needed...

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited September 2005 in Hardware
Alright..so I (finally) managed to get xp installed on my sata drive..and I used copy commander to delete the partitions on the old 60 gig ide drive and format it as a ntfs volume with a label of storage.

Thats all fine and dandy. but lemme tell you what the problem is. To use the sata drive and install xp on it. after installing xp, i shut down and plugged the ide drive in. and used copy commander to format the ide drive. this is when i did that. Restarted, went to boot. and it says non system boot disk, or something to that effect. I have the boot order set to CD, Floppy, HDD, with the hdd priority set to the SATA drive on top and the ide drive on bottom. I really wanted to keep my pagefile, music pictures and stuff like that on the ide drive and keep progs on the 250.

Does anyone know what the problem is? I cant figure it out and I think i need to find the drivers for this thing...but i dont think the drivers would help it much. Its a maxtor 60 gig ide hdd, cant find the model number, but the driver that came with it say the phoenix tech, and max-blast plus II ver. 1.30

I really wanna get this thing running to its max, and im holding off of installing much of anything yet, so that i can move the pagefile before anything is on the hdd besides the os. Gonna go all the way through the tweak guide this time.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    XP Installed its boot on the IDE drive. When you reformatted the IDE drive, you lost your boot.ini file. Better to boot from IDE and put archives on the bigger drive, IMHO-- both easier to do and you have more archive space. You CAN use the SATA for programs and archives.

See, the problem with booting to SATA is that you need a low-level SATA driver and possibly a driver for the drive (not sure about second part(due to drive size if that is needed), quite sure about the first part). That driver (or those drivers) needs to be on a floppy. They go in when XP install asks you to push f6 if you have additional drivers to load.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    I have done all the driver work on that disk, and xp is booting from the sata drive. but I cant get xp to reconize the ide drive.

If I do plug it in, sometimes it says NTLR is missing, or something like that, and other times it just boots and nothing shows up in my computer. I've trtied installing the drivers for the ide drive, but i never had to before and its not helping a whole lot.