Windows Image Acquisition service problem

kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
edited September 2005 in Science & Tech
I only noticed this in the last three or four days. Basicallt when I open My Computer, it takes a good 10 to 20 seconds for my drives to show up. I looked in event viewer and I see that this service is continually failing to start. I looked online and the slow My Computer is a symptom, but I couldn't find a working solution, it seems most people with this problem have HP printer and/or digital camera they recently installed. I have an HP deskjet 825c, but I installed that last year. I have a Canon digital camera, but again, installed it last year. The only thing I've installed recently was Steam, I had an itch to play HL2, and Konfabulator. Before I uninstall anything, I wanted to know if anyone out there has dealt with this problem before and if they'd managed to fix it.

Thanks

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    One possible thing... make sure the CD-Drives (and Virtual CD-Drives) are empty/ejected and disconnect any floppy drives if you have any... (this is just a test to see if it fixes it).
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Didn't work. Anytime I open My computer, it logs the same error in event viewer:

The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service terminated with the following error:
    The specified module could not be found.

It also gives me an error about DCOM saying the server did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Meh, turn off Windows Image Aquision unless there is something you really need it for (apparently it's for scanners and such, but I have it disabled and still use them...).
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Turns out a file called mscms.dll was missing in my system32 folder. I downloaded a copy of it and put it in the right place and it works again. Just thought I'd post this here because this was driving me crazy for the last few days.