Shuttle's XPC3 Small Form Factor for Athlon 64

SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
edited September 2003 in Science & Tech
Shuttle's XPC3 Small Form Factor for Athlon 64

NForce 3, Via KM400, Athlon 64 & 240W PSU in a cool tiny box...

The Inquirer managed to get pictures of Shuttle's new barebones system, powered by the Athlon 64 and NForce 3. These pictures show the final design of this case and we learned that this machine will use a 240W PSU and that it will generally be quieter than earlier XPC models.

These machines represent the third generation of Shuttles' XPC design.

The first unit is powered by NVidia's NForce-3 chipset. A ton of details about this chipset are available on the so-called graphics king website.

The second unit is powered by Via's KM400 chipset with graphic core inside and will be able to play DVD, MP3 and VCD without hard drive or software through the BIOS.

It's interesting that one of the smallest motherboard vendors could actually change the world's whole focus, as everyone including the mighty MSI, ECS and Asus are borrowing Shuttle's ideas for themselves, it appears.

There are few motherboard companies that don’t offer these small form factor systems now.

These machines will be publicly showcased at Computex next Monday.

Picture: NForce 3-based XPC (LEFT) & Via-based XPC (RIGHT).

Source: Shuttle Incorporated & The Inquirer

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I remember when having anything from a Shuttle meant you were:

1) A cheap bastard
    2) Clueless about computers
    3) A gimp

And now? Their XPC/SFF boxes kick all forms of ass, and people want them. But #1-3 still apply to their motherboards. :p

I'm still trying to figure out how the nForce3 performance on these machines around the internet school the crap out of the performance Prime, SMJ and myself got. :scratch:
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Thrax said

I'm still trying to figure out how the nForce3 performance on these machines around the internet school the crap out of the performance Prime, SMJ and myself got. :scratch:

ID 10 T error?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    All three of us?
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited September 2003
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited September 2003
    Thrax said
    I remember when having anything from a Shuttle meant you were:

1) A cheap bastard
    2) Clueless about computers
    3) A gimp

And now? Their XPC/SFF boxes kick all forms of ass, and people want them. But #1-3 still apply to their motherboards. :p

Jerk ;)