ATI X800PRO and BF2

Ka-BarKa-Bar Philadelphia, PA
edited October 2005 in Hardware
Hey everyone... :thumbsup:

Trying to find out if anybody out there is having any problems like lag and crashes to the desktop while playing BF2 with a ATI800Pro AGP. :confused:

If so any suggestions on control panel settings or other fixes would be appreciated. I upgraded my MoBo drivers before installing video drivers.

Sorry if this sounds vague but I am at work and have to hurry, we all know what that is like :rolleyes:

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, after all I am a FNG to this Forum and have to find my way... :usflag:

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    I've got an x800xt and no problems playing BF2. Is any of your hardware overclocked?

Edit:

Can you post all the specs of your system as well?
  • Ka-BarKa-Bar Philadelphia, PA
    edited September 2005
    Yo Shwaip, thnks for getting back 2 me.

No, I do not have any hardware overclocked.

Some of the actual model numbers I might have to update when I get home. :confused:

P4 2.66
    1Gig PC3200 RAM
    VIA Tech. MB ( just updated the bios before installing x800pro)
    Win XP Home with SP2
    80 Gig Western Digital HD
    Logitech 518 Mouse
    330w PSU
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    can you download atitool and see what temperature the card goes up to? My xt went up to 80C under load, but that seems to be the standard for the card.

also, try memtest

It will help to get the brand on the power supply.
    edited September 2005
    The brand of the power supply is Antec. I will run these programs when I get home from work tonight. Thanks again 4 the help... :)
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited September 2005
    BF2 is very sensitive. When I had an Athlon XP, it would CTD all the time. I could fix it by either lowering my overclock or increasing the voltage to my CPU. Since you're using the latest video drivers, I'd try increasing the RAM and CPU voltage if possible. Also, what brand is your RAM?
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited September 2005
    Ka-Bar wrote:
    Yo Shwaip, thnks for getting back 2 me.

No, I do not have any hardware overclocked.

Some of the actual model numbers I might have to update when I get home. :confused:

P4 2.66
    1Gig PC3200 RAM
    VIA Tech. MB ( just updated the bios before installing x800pro)
    Win XP Home with SP2
    80 Gig Western Digital HD
    Logitech 518 Mouse
    330w PSU
    One thing to try is to clean the dust out of your CPU heatsink. You might be overheating (Take the Fan off)

Next you need a beefier PSU. Preferably one that can deilver at least 24A on the 12v rail. 330watt PSUs cant cut it anymore with todays (since the Radeon 9700 Pro (3yrs old)) video cards.

Run Memtest Make sure you dont have a Memory Problem

Bootable ISO file below
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited September 2005
    I have the x800 XL and it seems to run fine. I play bf2 just about every day and ive had it since it came out (and the x800 xl too).

Do what Omega65 said and clean the heatsink out. Monitor the temperature.
    edited September 2005
    Thanks guys appeciate the help, I will try everything you have suggested, including getting a new power supply. Life has been nuts with kids getting back to school :D so I will try all of this over the weekend and get back to you all. :thumbsup:
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited September 2005
    Ka-Bar wrote:
    Thanks guys appeciate the help, I will try everything you have suggested, including getting a new power supply.
    Remember - 24 Amps+ on the 12v Rail.

A good PSU is the backbone of your system.
    edited October 2005
    Sorry it took so long for me to get back 2 you guys...You have all been a big help. My problem was definitely the power supply. I am playing BF2 hazzle free now. (and kickin ass I might add). :)

I ended up with a Ultra Products X Connect 500W, with modular cables. Installation was a breeze and the shielded modular cabes left tons of air circulation room and it is VERY quite.

:thumbsup: Thanks again and I know now where to come when I need help :thumbsup:

powersupply3nn.jpg
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited October 2005
    I have those same problems in BF2 with my x800pro as well. I get an amazing OC, but it still crashes to desktop occasionly without any OC. I think its just a very buggy game. I have this power supply, but I just noticed "+12V@18A". Omega said 24 or more Amps on that rail.. hah that could be my problem.

Since that fixed it for you... I might get a new one myself. I'll shop around and maybe ask for one for christmas. :)
    edited October 2005
    I have those same problems in BF2 with my x800pro as well. I get an amazing OC, but it still crashes to desktop occasionly without any OC. I think its just a very buggy game. I have this power supply, but I just noticed "+12V@18A". Omega said 24 or more Amps on that rail.. hah that could be my problem.

Since that fixed it for you... I might get a new one myself. I'll shop around and maybe ask for one for christmas. :)

Hey Pilotwings119...Also BF2 for some reason likes to start in 800 x 600 at 60 Hertz and then let the game options set your resolutions and refresh rate. So Force Refresh is not a good thing in this case. (at least with the ATI 800 Pro). Try that...