Arghhh...One Prob after Another (SNAFU)

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited September 2005 in Hardware
all right...so im cruisin along getting my halfway new pc all set up and the loose ends tied up, so I open DVD X Rescue, and it shows the drive with a red x next to it, look in the help file, and it means that media isnt supported, so i think..ahh put a dvd+r disc in their. i go to push the eject button and the light comes on, but nothing happens...this must be a glitch...try again...light flash. check. tray open...no go.

So my computer freezes and so does dvd x rescue. so i restart.. now the 3540 doesnt show up in my cmoputer...starting to get worried. restart. shows up, thank god...push eject button..light...no tray...maybe somethings jammed...find paperclip....emergency eject...oh....stupid audio cd sent compliments of pontiac...copy protected thanks to bmg...to avoid this, hold shift while the disc would normally autorun..easy enough, thats just a side note and after that, you are free to rip tracks and burn copys. So i take the disc out and try to shut the tray via button...nope...manually shut tray.. try button again...uh-uh. restart...drive in my computer button still doesnt work, drive is unresponsive....

When i emerg. eject the tray, the light will come on, when i push it shut, the light will come one, when i push the button the light will come on...it is doing a fine job as an led flasher and looking pretty.

bios detects the drive, and windows detects the drive.

If i go to my computer, right click, eject, i get the same 3 sec flash of green light.....why me.....whats wrong with the thing? :scratch:

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    no one...alright....im about to ship this thing back if there is not a fix for it.....what are the prices on neweggs return..do you have to pay 15% restock on a deffective drive..I'm sure you have to pay shipping...it'd cost me around $10 for something that should've been working and not deffective in the first place..thats kind of crappy...
    edited September 2005
    I see how it is, leave the guy with a broken dvd burner in the cold....that how things work now...j/k lol, i am seriously dissapointed with nec right now.. and I sent neweggs shipping claims department a rather lengthy e-mail telling them I shouldnt have to pay all of there fees. We shall see if I get out of paying the shipping to get the burner back to them. ;D
  • rykoryko new york
    edited September 2005
    dude...calm down.

try a firmware upgrade. then try quality dvd+r media.

maybe you should do more research on how to use your nec-3540 before you blame newegg. :rolleyes:
    edited September 2005
    I'm not blaming newegg, I'm blaming NEC and to my best knowledge, there is no firmware update, firmware, and as for knowing how to use my nec-3540, I think i can handle that. You plug the ide cable in and the power connector. boot up and let microsofts ide drivers do their job. If I had done something wrong, or not hooked an ide cable up right, it would not even show up in the device manager. alright. The drive shows up but will not respond. It has been giving me problems since I got it, and about calming down and blaming newegg. I have no problems with newegg, in fact, I wouldnt go anywhere else, NEC is the one I'm blaming if you read my post. I am calm, maybe your reading my post different than I am writing them. just hoping that there is some sort of fix for this, because I would rather my drive be able to be fixed than to have to ship it back for a replacement and do without. It's not like I WANT it to be broke. :shakehead
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    Before you go the RMA route, try the drive in a different computer using a different cable. If it goofs around there you'll know it's the drive and won't waste any more time on a lost cause.

Good luck. :)
    edited September 2005
    I have another cable im fixing to try, although, I hope its not the cable seeing as its a brand new vantec round cable. and it wouldnt be worth rma'ing it. It would cost more for the shipping than the cable would. ;D
  • rykoryko new york
    edited September 2005
    i say calm down b/c you were ready to RMA before anyone even replied, and it didn't seem like you had tried much troubleshooting from your first posts, yet you are ready to RMA right away.

i have the same drive and it works perfectly for me...

maybe it' s your "copy" of DVD X Rescue or maybe it is cheap blank dvd+r media.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    One other thing to try is downloading a Win98 boot floppy and seeing if it will read a disc in DOS mode. If so, it is likely to be a Windows (or your burner software) problem.
    edited September 2005
    Tried everything. different cable, different ide bus, different computer....you name it i did it. One thing I can say, is that newegg has excelent customer service, hands down. If I tried this anywhere else, I would get the cold shoulder. Plus they have great prices. :thumbsup:

Got an RMA approval with no restocking and up to $6 for reimbersment on shipping. i think i can do that. Said they'd ship it back to me fed-ex saver. Prob take a couple weeks to get the drive back though. thank god I got most of my software installed before it decided to quit on me.