Folding on Linux newbie guide - beta test

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited November 2005 in Folding@Home
I wrote a quick-n-dirty guide to folding on linux. This will take you from a bare machine to a box that folds in the background as a 'service' and automatically starts at bootup. It is intended for people with zero linux experience, farmers, and others who want to build super cheap, lightweight dedicated folders.

Before I publish it on the front page, I want some of you to volunteer to test it from scratch.

Here's the guide:

http://www.teamshort-media.com/join/linuxfolding.html

If it works, this would be great for the SMx rigs.

Feedback appreciated. :)

NOTES:

I realize that there is no method for setting up a samba share so that it can be monitored remotely by EM3 or something like that. This guide is not intended to be that comprehensive, and I can't figure out a SUPER-noob way to do this. My goal is to have a complete guide with pre-made scripts so that the end user does not have to edit any configuration files. This guide acheives that, but unfortunately has no method of remotely monitoring the computer. Perhaps when I get time I'll try to figure out some premade scripts that can set up a generic samba share. If anyone has any advice in this regard, I would appreciate it.

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    It looks okay from just reading through it. What's the deal with the x64 support in CentOS? Every generic AMD64 Linux kernel I've seen ships with multilib support turned on (support for compatibility mode x86 on native AMD64 arches).

-drasnor :fold:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Why doesn't one of our Linux gurus make a disc image for an install package on one of the easier-to-use Linux builds that includes a working copy of the latest version of F@H for members to install on dedicated folding rigs? Is this even possible? If so, all a user would need to do is edit the F@H config file and away they go. :thumbsup:
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    It's a great idea GHoosdum, but I don't think the Stanford crew looks kindly on distributing the Folding client that way.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    You should explain what each step does more. I know it isn't a linux tutorial, but:

a few critiques:

1)
    curl -O http://www.teamshort-media.com/join/fah

it will download a thing. Now, type:

Wow! It downloaded a thing. I don't know what this thing is, but I'll gladly "run" it in the next step!

2) You really only use a few linux commands. Why not explain, very genericly, what each does.

3) Rather than replacing the rc.local, why not just cat starting the script to the end of the file, on the off chance that someone who likes to add some other things to it is using the guide.

4) after you start the client for config, you say
    If it does, and it starts folding, then hit CTRL-C to stop it, and we'll go to the next step.

What if it doesn't?

5) Do you really need the memtest link in there?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    It's a great idea GHoosdum, but I don't think the Stanford crew looks kindly on distributing the Folding client that way.

Maybe we could get permission? I mean, doesn't google have permission to distribute the folding client through the google toolbar?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Installation guide for Gentoo:

# emerge foldingathome
    # foldingathome --config
    # rc-update add foldingathome default

Wasn't that hard ;D

I have to agree though that the brief guide really is brief and assumes everything works perfectly first time... now come on guys, when does that ever happen? :rolleyes2
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    you guys understand linux, even at a basic level. You're not the people this guide is for.

the reason I don't explain is because I don't feel like typing all that. it's a quick-n-dirty guide for people who, to be honest, probably don't care what the thing does, as long as it does it.

the reason for the starting script thing? I don't know how to do what you just said, that's why. Plus, anybody who wants to add other things in there - this guide is not for them. You're missing the point.

I'm hoping someone who fits the bill - i.e. NO linux experience, and no desire to gain any, will try this guide out step by step, not tainted by pre-existing linux knowledge, and get a dedicated folding box up and running.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    A few comments:

curl is a downloader program.

chmod means CHange MODe (or MODality, synonymic)

755 lets:

Owner read, write, and execute;
    Other members of Owner's group read and execute (needed);
    World read and execute (should not be needed,see below).

I would use 750 for mode instead of 755.

mode codes are added from following table for each digit:

4=read
    2=write
    1=execute

Other comment: this looks like it qill be root run, whihc is fine for a folding-only rig. For a rig that does other things in linux, I would make it a user run thing and not a pure root run thing-- because user will want to do othe rthings and linux does better if something CPU intensive has equal priority with things being run at same time. chown or chmod can change ownership and file access mode.

the whole folder/directory F@H client is in needs same perms and ownership that the file has, or you will get to have a job of making some files manually changed every time the client changes WUs. I used a directory called FAH, put client in it, then repermed the directory and then the FAH client process. WHY is this needed??? new files will get the directory permissions and ownership by default-- and most directories do not need 750 or 755 and are not defaulted to that when created.

John, posting from Linux Mandrake.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Enverex wrote:
    Installation guide for Gentoo:

# emerge foldingathome
    # foldingathome --config
    # rc-update add foldingathome default

Wasn't that hard ;D

I have to agree though that the brief guide really is brief and assumes everything works perfectly first time... now come on guys, when does that ever happen? :rolleyes2
    Second line is incorrect, the new ebuild's syntax is /opt/foldingathome/initfolding

At any rate Gentoo is pretty straightforward to install if you can read. They tell you exactly what to type and a short blurb about what it does in the Gentoo Installation Handbook (far and above the best primer to Linux I've ever seen). The Stage3 install cuts out the vast majority of the compiling you'd ordinarily do so installation doesn't have to take all day.
    GHoodsum wrote:
    Why doesn't one of our Linux gurus make a disc image for an install package on one of the easier-to-use Linux builds that includes a working copy of the latest version of F@H for members to install on dedicated folding rigs? Is this even possible? If so, all a user would need to do is edit the F@H config file and away they go.
    Unfortunately the task you describe is not an easy one. The problem is that Linux isn't version-static. Programs have bugfixes posted on a nearly daily basis. Anyone that says Windows has too many updates hasn't seen what an emerge -uav world looks like on my desktop Gentoo box once a week. A responsible sysadmin keeps his machines up to date so they don't become launchpads for DoS attacks etc. as unmanned Linux machines with little/no security in place are prone to becoming. Additionally, FAH requires an Internet connection to work so it would be simpler to add a script that downloads and configures FAH for you. I guess where I'm going with this is that after you factor in all the features you want to use you've essentially got a Gentoo Stage3 install.

At any rate the point here is to help Prime with this beta install manual. I'll try it out on SM25 tomorrow afternoon when I get home. There's so much that needs updating on SM25's Gentoo install that essentially the entire package tree needs to be recompiled so I'll just format the drive and test CentOS.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited September 2005
    you guys understand linux, even at a basic level. You're not the people this guide is for.

the reason I don't explain is because I don't feel like typing all that. it's a quick-n-dirty guide for people who, to be honest, probably don't care what the thing does, as long as it does it.

the reason for the starting script thing? I don't know how to do what you just said, that's why. Plus, anybody who wants to add other things in there - this guide is not for them. You're missing the point.

I'm hoping someone who fits the bill - i.e. NO linux experience, and no desire to gain any, will try this guide out step by step, not tainted by pre-existing linux knowledge, and get a dedicated folding box up and running.

I didn't mean a really intensive definition of each, but perhaps a little more explanation. For example, instead of:
    Next, type:

up2date -i curl

It will go through some stuff and download something. It might ask you if something is okay. Say "yes".

You could say:

Next, we will install curl using up2date. curl will be used to download the files necessary for the guide.

To install curl, type:

up2date -i curl

It's one thing to make the guide simple, but if you use words like "stuff" and "thing", I personally think it might turn some people off from using the guide. I mean, installing spyware can be described as: download this stuff from a website. Run the thing that shows up on your desktop. It will add things to your computer.

Oh, also you may want to send the folding output to /dev/null, as folding creates a log by default.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    I expect to have this on at least a couple future SMx rigs by this time tomorrow.

Stay Tuned. :cool:
    edited September 2005
    By "tomorrow" I meant nearly a week after getting out of the hospital. :D

I used the guide and everything went without any major hitches. The future SM29 is Folding on CentOS Linux as I type this.

I'm working on an annotated step-by-step description of a few things I noticed while following the guide to set things up on this XP2000+ rig. All in all, it was simple, quick, and quite painless. If you're looking for an easy way to get a reliable dedicated Folding machine running with zero dollars spent on an OS (along with minimal HD requirements), then look no further - this does the trick. :thumbsup:

More to follow once the Percocet wears off a little. :p
    edited September 2005
    I've attached prime's guide, with a few notes added in RED. As I said before, this was a very simple process, the things I mentioned are somewhat nitpick-ish. :p

Overall, this looks like the way to go if you have a puny HD you'd like to use for a dedicated Folding machine. The money you save on the OS will pay for a nice CPU upgrade, or additional RAM for those extra-large WU's. My only request would be for a way to monitor your progress. As a linux n00b, I have no idea how to even track down the FAH log and check that. FAH seems to be running fine. There have been no glitches in several days of Folding; every time I check the box it is sitting at 99.9% CPU usage. :thumbsup:
    edited September 2005
    if you have access to the box:

Folding should create a log in your root's home directory. This is the directory you start out in when you log into the box. type 'ls' to list the contents of the directory. You should see familiar things (FAHLog.txt). type "more FAHLog.txt" to see it one screen at a time. Press 'space' to go to the next screen.

I've attached a cap of what this looks like on my box - it's in a different directory, but the idea is the same.

putty - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

will let you access the box remotely - just type in the ip of the linux box for the hostname. then click open. The username is "root" and the password is whatever you set it to be.

edit if that explanation ^ of putty is too quick - I'll write a better one when I get back from class
    edited September 2005
    I'll give that a try, shwaip.

Thanks. :thumbsup:
    edited September 2005
    Worked like a charm, shwaip. :D

Believe me, people - If I can do this, you can do this. There are few people in the world who qualify as "...(having) zero linux experience, farmers, and others who want to build super cheap, lightweight dedicated folders..." more than myself. :p
    edited September 2005
    also, if you just want to see the end of the FAHLog.txt file, you can type 'tail FAHlog.txt'.
    edited October 2005
    Just a followup, but after 13 days of Folding under CentOS Linux the rig (Athlon XP 2000+) has completed ten WU's and is well underway with number eleven.

No reboots, no hassles, no kidding. :)
  • DoctorGeo2008DoctorGeo2008 Flint, MI
    edited October 2005
    Just tried this myself on an old machine that someone gave me. It wouldn't work at first. It wouldn't recognize the NIC. It's an old DLink DE-220P. So, I just put in a different card...one that didn't even have any identification on it.. and it is working like a champ!!

I can't wait to try this on my new systems I just bought from Newegg. :D
    edited October 2005
    ...I can't wait to try this on my new systems I just bought from Newegg. :D
    I saw your post in this thread. What did you end up getting? :)
    edited October 2005
    This is what I got:

Rosewill Value RV300 ATX 300W Power Supply - Retail Item #: N82E16817182001
    WINTEC 256MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Unbuffered System Memory Model 35134588-P - Retail Item #: N82E16820161612
    MASSCOOL Socket A Cooling kit 5R281B1H3G 60mm Ball Cooling Fan/Heatsink - Retail Item #: N82E16835150013
    AMD Sempron 2300+ Thoroughbred 333MHz FSB Socket A Processor Model SDA2300DUT3D - OEM Item #: N82E16819104202
    PC CHIPS M863G V5.1A Socket A (Socket 462) SiS 741GX Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail Item #: N82E16813185053

Total for each shipped was about $145. I bought 4, 2 for me and 2 for my brother. I probably could have done a little better but my bro said to stay under $150 for him.
    edited October 2005
    The points should start ticking up for me now!! All 4 units up and running. :thumbsup:
    edited October 2005
    The points should start ticking up for me now!! All 4 units up and running. :thumbsup:
    Great! :thumbsup:

Did your brother go the Linux + Folding route, too?

"My" Linux box (see - I called it a "Linux box", meaning I'm well on my way to becoming a Linux maven) is heading off to the UK soon to assume its role as the new SM7 (Icrontic7). It has added another five WU's in the last week. I sure am going to miss it... :bawling:

There will be plenty more future SMx Rigs cutting their teeth on this program, though. Might be time to remove that "beta" tag, prime. :cool:
    edited October 2005
    No, he's a Windows person all the way. Doesn't know much about computers... he just calls me when he has a problem/issue. No big deal. I'll just keep working on increasing my folding farm and hopefully I'll make the top 20 someday. :)

Better yet... I hope that some great discovery comes out of all this folding. :thumbsup:
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited November 2005
    Prime - you should probably edit the HTML and make a title for the webpage :)