Video Card to go with Dell 2005FPW

CrimguyCrimguy Cave Creek, AZ
edited September 2005 in Hardware
I have a Dell 2005FPW on the way. 1680x1050 20" display.

I currently have a GF4400 and am planning to upgrade my video card.

What's the best bang for buck I can expect? Will a 6600GT or 6800 (non-gt) suffice for this display? I'd like to run it at full resolution, and maybe even turn on a few effects for a change (4xAA, aniso).

Non-AGP cards need not apply. I primarily play UT2004 FS2k4, and will finally get HL2 (I didn't want to ruin the experience by playing it with my current setup). Another issue is the upgrade path. I know getting a new mobo is an eventuality, and it'll be in about 1 1/2 - 2 years I imagine. So this card will only be used for that period (since I'm certain the next rig will be PCI-x and hopefully SLI!).

Bottom line - will I be happy with a 6600GT/6800, or should I be looking at 6800GT/X800?

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    The plain X800 is a lot of bang for the buck. The MSI 128MB version is going for less than $150 after the rebate.
    No, it isn't a 6800GT, but it is half the price.
  • CrimguyCrimguy Cave Creek, AZ
    edited September 2005
    I did a search for a vanilla x800 agp. Couldn't find one for less than $195.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    edited September 2005
    Sorry, can't use a PCI express card with my mobo (NF7-S) :mad:
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited September 2005
    Grab yourself a 6600GT and OC it. You can also get a 6800 and flash the bios to 6800 GT, and I've also heard of some being flashed to 6800 ultra (not sure on the success rate of the Ultra though).

Either of these cards you can get on Newegg.com for less then $200.00\
  • rykoryko new york
    edited September 2005
    you are going to want something better than a 6600gt if you want to turn on any effects (AA/AF) at that higher res of your monitor.

6800gt/x800xl minimum
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited September 2005
    They dont make any 7800GT/GTX that I'm aware of that are AGP.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited September 2005
    thats why i hit the edit button!!!
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    if your going pci-e, id go with the x800, pretty nice card from what I've seen. but if you could afford it, id REALLY think about a 6800 GT, but thats just because im a Nvidia kinda guy.
    edited September 2005
    I think I'm going to go with a 6800 and try my hand at flashing it with RivaTuner. It's about the same speed as a 6600gt, maybe a bit faster in spots, and the possibility of enabling all 16 pipes is tempting.

When all pipes are enabled, it will essentially be a 6800GT that's clocked a bit slow, yes?
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited September 2005
    i'd also go with the 6800 and unlock it. the evga's from newegg have a pretty good success rate.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    yes and no...the reason I got the gT version was because the gt version uses DDR3 ram instead of ddr ram. but thats about the only difference.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    No the 7800 is only in PCI-Express....no word on them making a AGP version

The 6600GT will never hit marks of a 6800GT Or Ultra, sure they could get to the core clock, but trying running a game at 1600 x 1200 it will die fast. I have seen many people think that a 6600GT can run as good as a 6800GT..there is just no way it can do it.

I have a few Nvidia cards you might like. check them out here. http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37205
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited September 2005
    I have the x800 XL and its been really nice for me. I play BF2, CS sourse, Halo, UT 2004, Half life 2, doom 3, with 1280x1024, and settings/effects maxed. My computer is pretty fast too(amd 64 3200, 2 gigs ram) which is probably why i can have it run so high. Depending on how much ram you have will make a difference for you also.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited September 2005
    Have you looked into the x800gts?
    edited September 2005
    OK I was browsing Best Buy on Saturday and they had an X850 pro AGP for $250. Cheaper than anything I've seen online, so I took the plunge. Runs pretty fast, and seems to be enough to drive the display at full resolution with most of the sliders maxed.

I hear I should be able to unlock the remaining 4 pipes on it, effecively making it an X850 XT. Anyone try it?

I think I have a pretty good one from the batch - I can get the core to 555 and the ram to 595 without a hiccup.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited September 2005
    Thats a great card dude. I'vnt seen 'em that cheap either!
  • edited September 2005
    Yeah, sounds like you got a pretty good deal, but not quite as good a deal as I got on my Sapphire X800XT-PE from ZZF last month. I caught it on sale there for $225 shipped. :D

I just checked their site and it's on backorder and the price on it is now $269.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited September 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    Yeah, sounds like you got a pretty good deal, but not quite as good a deal as I got on my Sapphire X800XT-PE from ZZF last month. I caught it on sale there for $225 shipped. :D

:eek: That is an awesome deal mudd.. too bad we always get hosed out of those kinds of deals up here in ka-na-da :D
    Crimguy wrote:
    I think I have a pretty good one from the batch - I can get the core to 555 and the ram to 595 without a hiccup.

That core speed is about the same as my XT will do. Now see if you can get those pipes unlocked :D