Modding Project: Mandalorian Warrior

jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
edited September 2005 in Hardware
Ok, I promose I'll take some pics tonight! I've been working on this case now for about a week and am doing little bits at a time.

I started with an ancient gateway P-133 full AT tower that I had salvaged from work. I actually have 2 of these things, and the second one I'm saving incase I mess up and need another one.

So, I tore the case down and cut out everything that didnt need to be there. The stabilizing bar, lower HDD cage...all that got ripped out.

The next thing I did was cut 1 large rectangular hole big enough to stack 2 120mm fans in. The fans are physically going to be atached to the back of the front panel to cut down on vibrations, but they had to fit into holes in the case so the panel would slide back on. I also cut out the fan grill in the top back of the case where the HDD's are going to sit. I want max airflow out for heat :)

Then I took off the outter plate of the frint panel off, and cut out the plastic bards that run horizontal so I can get max airflow. The bottom part of the panel is going to be covered with modders mesh contoured around with enough room to fit a control panel on the top for power/reset/LEDs/Cathode switch.

The next part of this project is cutting out the window. These old cases came in 2 pieces..the case and the cover, so its not an easy task. Started with a nibbler, but I think I'm going to use a power jigsaw and rip through it. I'm also using a 3in Greenlee punch to put a fan hole in the top and some on the window side.

The paintjob is last. I've decided on the case being black and the base piece being red. I found a nice red UV window decal of the Mythosaur skull Boba Fett has on his left sholder pad, and the graphics department here at work is making me a decal of the symbol from his armor chest for the non-window side of the case.

Lets also not forget the 2 UV blue cold cathodes that go inside the thing.

Anyhow, I'll make some pics so you guys can see my work in progress.