slow computer

edited September 2005 in Hardware
I have a Compaq presario 2100 notebook amd with windows xp installed. My problem is that it my computer runs very slow at times mainly when I restart it. After I restart it I cant use it for like two hours. I tried to fix the problem by doing a clean reinstall of my OS so I formatted my hard drive an reinstalled my OS. It took so long to load I had to leave it running overnight and it was done in the morning. It used to take about 30 min.when it was done the next morning I started my computer up and it was still running slow. I figure this narrows out being a spyware problem or OS problem but not sure. another thing I saw was when I looked under my my system properties it is supposed to say 1.79ghz 448mb of ram and when it is running slow it says 518mhz 448mb or ram. I do not know what is causing but any help will be great.

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Your notebook has a function built in that will slow down the processor to conserve battery when you are not plugged in to the outlet. You may need to:
    A) Plug into the wall
    B) Go into your battery/power saving settings and change your plugged in configuration to run the CPU at full speed. I'm not sure what this will look like off the top of my head, because I'm not sitting near a laptop right now.
  • edited September 2005
    Thank you for your replay, I was aware of these settings and i did shut down all of the
    power saver options and my computer is plugged into the wall. I forgot to tell you that when my computer is cold and I start it it makes a funny noise that sounds kind of like a cricket or a frog ,it is a funny cherping noise that never did this before .I dont know if this has any thing to do with my problem though.
    edited September 2005
    Ah. The CPU may also be throttling down due to heat. Check your heatsink and fan for your processor. There is a great article about checking and cleaning it, found here:
    http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=258
  • edited September 2005
    Thanks for your replay I guess i will get a can of air and get to work. My computer is two years old and has not been cleaned yet but the thing that has me wondering is that my problem seems to be the worst when my computer is cold but I guess I will get the ckeanng out of the way and go from there
    edited September 2005
    The CPU actually heats up very fast. If the fan is under extra stress from the dust and the bearings are wearing out, you will hear extra noise from the fan if the fan itself is still cold.
  • edited September 2005
    OK makes cence to me. Ill clean it and let you know how I make out.
  • edited September 2005
    I have narrowed my noise down to being my hard drive I think. When I slide it my hard drive out and boot up my computer from a disk there is no noise. When I have the hard drive in and boot it up the noise starts. Could the noisy hard drive have anything to do with my slow computer?
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited September 2005
    Start it up and back up everything you need off of that hard drive as it sounds like it isn't long for this world. DON'T keep starting up and shutting down. Start it 1 more time and get your data off as soon as you can. You may have only 1 start up left!!

Those noises sound like a dying hard drive to me, consider yourself warned!!!

Flint
  • edited September 2005
    you warned me a little late I cant even get it to boot know. Oh well ill live. You know where i can get a hard drive for cheap?
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited September 2005
    newegg.com has them for cheap

2.5 inch notebook hard drives
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    dude....sorry bout the failure.....hope you didnt loose anything important..im sure you did though.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Man I started reading your post today and the first thing that popped to my head was HD sorry I wasn't hear earlier to warn you. I might be able to get you a good deal on a new HD www.mandmcr.com