Unable to reboot..?

edited September 2005 in Hardware
Hello,

I was using msconfig to eliminate some programs from running upon start up.. I must have disabled something by accident.. When I reboot it stays at the Windows Millenium start up screen and I am unable to get anywhere else from there.. My lap top will not load.. Can anyone help me out... Thanks

Comments

• sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited September 2005
    try booting in safe mode maybe
  • edited September 2005
    try booting in safe mode maybe
    I can not get past the blue screen that shows Windows Millenium edition.. Is starting in safe mode the same as in XP? If so, I can not do so.. :(
  • edited September 2005
    Anyone..?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    I can not get past the blue screen that shows Windows Millenium edition.. Is starting in safe mode the same as in XP? If so, I can not do so.. :(
    Tap F8 as soon as you turn the computer on. You're looking for a boot options menu. If you get as far as the Windows logo you've missed it.
  • edited September 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Tap F8 as soon as you turn the computer on. You're looking for a boot options menu. If you get as far as the Windows logo you've missed it.
    I tried to run on Safe Mode but it still does not go past the windows logo.. What should I do next? I do-not have any boot up disks for this laptop.. I actually purchased it from a friend and do not have anything other then the laptop itself..
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited September 2005
    Keep tapping F8 when you start the computer. The Boot option should come before the windows logo.

Try again, one more time :)
  • edited September 2005
    Keep tapping F8 when you start the computer. The Boot option should come before the windows logo.

Try again, one more time :)
    I did get a boot option menu... Windows logo came up after I tried it in SafeMode.. Where do I go from there..?
    edited September 2005
    I did get a boot option menu... Where do I go from there..?
    Use the Up & Down arrows to highlight Safe Mode, hit {Enter} and you should be good. :)
  • edited September 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Use the Up & Down arrows to highlight Safe Mode, hit {Enter} and you should be good. :)
    I did try a SafeMode boot but it stays on the Windows Logo after doing so..
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited September 2005
    hey guys - is there Repair Console for WinME that he could use?
    edited September 2005
    Are you using System Restore, and do you have an Emergency Boot Disk?
  • edited September 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Are you using System Restore, and do you have an Emergency Boot Disk?
    I honestly do not know... I unfortunately I do not have a emergency boot disk
    edited September 2005
    What's the longest you've let the computer sit at the WinME screen? I've seen messed up systems finally boot after twenty minutes or more.

It's a longshot, but sometimes removing a piece of hardware forces Windows to re-check everything. Turn the computer off and remove your Network Card (if it's not onboard, or some other device if it is). Then turn the computer on and cross your fingers.

Unfortunately, WinME does not give you a lot of options for easily repairing itself. Do you have any data on the drive that is not backed up?
  • edited September 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    What's the longest you've let the computer sit at the WinME screen? I've seen messed up systems finally boot after twenty minutes or more.

It's a longshot, but sometimes removing a piece of hardware forces Windows to re-check everything. Turn the computer off and remove your Network Card (if it's not onboard, or some other device if it is). Then turn the computer on and cross your fingers.

Unfortunately, WinME does not give you a lot of options for easily repairing itself. Do you have any data on the drive that is not backed up?
    Well after about 20 min or so my laptop rebooted.... :thumbsup: to all of you(s) that helped... :D