Question about subwoofer interference.

RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
edited September 2005 in Hardware
Hey, got my new computer desk tonight and I am curious about something. I laid my case and my subwoofer side by side(about 3 inches inbetween), will this have any harmful effects?
Thank you,
Rivers

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    It shouldn't, and if it does it will likely be an audible hum or crackling from the speaker. In that case you just move them farther apart. It will most likely only be a problem if there is inadequate shielding in the subwoofer. Quality speakers designed for computer use rarely have this problem. :)
  • RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
    edited September 2005
    Appreciate the quick response :thumbsup: Thats good to know!

profdlp wrote:
    It shouldn't, and if it does it will likely be an audible hum or crackling from the speaker. In that case you just move them farther apart. It will most likely only be a problem if there is inadequate shielding in the subwoofer. Quality speakers designed for computer use rarely have this problem. :)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    It's generally not a good idea considering the sub-woofer is actually a very big magnet which for obvious reasons shouldn't be put too close to your PC.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2005
    I dont think you will be able to see any difference in sound. The sub is the bigger magnet and will affect the computer, not the computer affecting the speaker. I would move the sub further away. Keep it away from any CRTs as well.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    exactly what i was gonna say..except my sub is most likely bigger than most of yours.

I have a 12" sub pushing 300 watts .., i know, its kinda overkill in my 10' x 10' room. ;D but oh well i like to feel when an explosion goes off in my games.

and i keep the sub on the opposite end of the room, 1 because thats the only spot for is, and 2 in fear of all the emi that thing has to be letting out.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited September 2005
    wow awesome dude. what brand/model is it?

I just have a small Yamaha like 80watt sub :)
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited September 2005
    Nice... my sub on the Z-5500 is only 188 watts, but it's more than enough.

And also, I wouldn't keep it less than a foot or two from the computer, because as others have said, it's a big magnet. And also, the shaking would be much worse there, which can't be good for anything inside (I'm lookin' at you, Mr. Hard Drive).
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    my sub is a selenium (wierd name, I know) woofer thats meant to be used in pro sound and DJ applications, as well as home theatre. and a bash amp I built the setup myself. so its not really branded. not that hard to build if you no what you are doing and know how to use basic power tools like a table saw, miter saw, and a drill. It was on the outragously expensive side. but i take my music, and all audio kinda seriously...im saving up right now to upgrade my cars audio system, since the delco (POS) cd player crapped out on me, and all I have is the radio.

So Im gonna get a JVC arsenal head unit, and infinity kappa drivers. should be pretty tight. and im also getting a mp3 player with it so i can say bye bye to my 45+ CD's that are floating around my car. and when I save up some more money I'll get a 12 incher for my car to place in the trunk. :thumbsup:

I just gotta find out if that headunit can run a 2 ohm load since most head units are for a 4 ohm load. if not, then ill have to get the infinity reference speakers, which is a step down in quality, but ill save myself some money, as well as have 4 ohm speakers. Hope im not speaking greek to anyone here.