ICY BOX Problem

edited September 2005 in Hardware
I just purchased the IB-350U-BL ICY BOX with USB interface and added a Maxtor 250 GB hard disk. Neither of my pentium machines running Windows Xp seems to recognize it when connected. Do I have to format the hard disk first? I am grateful for any help! Thanks - SW :scratch:

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Might double-check the jumpers on the hard drive. I think it needs to be set for single drive. I don't think you have to format it first.

Hopefully your ICY BOX isn't broke. I had one that only lasted me two months :(
  • edited September 2005
    AFAIK, hard drives don't come formatted or partitioned, so you may have to do both.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Right click "My Computer" and Select "Management" then click "Disk Management" from the list on the left. Has your drive shown up on the right now? (go by the size as it wont have a name or anything else yet).
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    When you plug it in, does a little bubble pop up near the clock on the taskbar saying something has been connected?
  • edited September 2005
    Thanks. Yes! But the PC did not recognize the HD. - Sisira
  • edited September 2005
    Enverex wrote:
    Right click "My Computer" and Select "Management" then click "Disk Management" from the list on the left. Has your drive shown up on the right now? (go by the size as it wont have a name or anything else yet).

Many thanks for your help. I was able to initiallise and partition the new HD by following your instructions. I am quite pleased with the performance of the unit. - Sisira
  • edited September 2005
    Thanks for your comments - Sisira