Missing Disk drive

edited September 2005 in Hardware
de.jpg

this is what i see when i open my computer. I can`t use any disks or anything because of this. Can anyone help me fix this problem?

Comments

• tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited September 2005
    Are you referring to your cd/dvd rom or burner? If so turn off your pc and make sure the cable is connected securely. Even if it appears to be in securely unplug it and plug it back in. Boot up and if its still saying its not appearing go into your bios and make sure its enabled. Ive had that happen before when trying to install XP. My cd rom drive wasnt enabled and it wouldnt boot from the disc and it took me like an hour to realize it.

So 1st check the cable, 2nd make sure its enabled. And is this the first time your using the drive or did it randomly not show up when you turned your computer on?
  • edited September 2005
    It just wasn`t there. I don`t know how to use my bios, And the plugs are in tight. Oh, and it`s my cd rom thing too.
    edited September 2005
    Did you ever have the cd rom working, or did you just install it?

Ok and for the bios, when your computer is booting look for a message saying something like "Press delete to enter setup", or "press f1 to enter bios". It will say press (some key) to enter setup or bios.
  • edited September 2005
    i know how to get into bios, its just tht i dont know what to do in there. i had the cd rom work right before i reformatted i think.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    If you don't know what to do while adjusting BIOS settings, now would be a good time to start learning. :)

Step One: Look for a section referring to IDE (or maybe Hard Drive) Controllers. For the time being, make sure they are all set to "Auto".

Most motherboards have (at least) two IDE Channels, each of which can handle two devices, giving you four total. If one (or more) of them is set to "Disabled" it could easily cause the problem you describe.

Tell us what you find and we'll go from there. :wave:
  • edited September 2005
    Ok, I went into my bios, and I found the IDE stuff, But there was 4. I went into the first 2 and then i switched both to auto, but when i pressed esc, it said not detected, even though i set it to auto. I went back into My Computer, and still nothing.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited September 2005
    Are your jumpers set wrong on the drives.
  • edited September 2005
    what do you mean?

EDIT to gray fox // actually you might be right. I got a new power supply and I just plugged what i thought was right and what fit.
    edited September 2005
    GrayFox is refering to the jumper on the drive that allows you to choose between Master, Slave, and Cable Select.

As far as your new PSU, you should make sure that there is a four-pin Molex connector going to each drive. ;)
  • edited September 2005
    what are you talking about. i can give you a picture if youd like
    edited September 2005
    I've attached pics of each. The Molex connector will be at the end of one of the sets of wires coming from your power supply.

The Master/Slave/Cable Select jumpers are on the back of the drive itself. You must either set both drives on one IDE cable (the fat wide ones with lots of wires) as Cable Select, or set the drive at the end of the cable as Master and the drive in the middle as Slave.
  • edited September 2005
    im not sure what you mean but mine looks like this
    DSC00252.jpg

just tell me what you want me to take a pic of
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited September 2005
    I'd clean my heatsink!!
  • RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
    edited September 2005
    What they're talking about is the jumper setting on your cd-rom drive. Here is what it should look like:
    img_jumper2.jpg

We need to know if it's set on Master or Slave on the IDE(ribbon) cable.
    edited September 2005
    What they're talking about is the jumper setting on your cd-rom drive. Here is what it should look like:
    img_jumper2.jpg

We need to know if it's set on Master or Slave on the IDE(ribbon) cable.

If you have to, take the drive out and do it. Its worth a try, and while your at it, clean the heatsink! It needs it BADLY, and you computer will be cooler and maybe even run a little faster.

:cheers:
  • edited September 2005
    is the heatsink the thing that says intel on it?
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/lib0/DSC00283.jpg
    this is my..err cd thing. tell me what to do

edit // i see the jumper, but what do i do? more like how do i do it