Getting beeps from my cpu..

edited September 2005 in Hardware
I've been getting beeps from my cpu from today morning..it was fine for 1 year or so till today..my cpu beeps randomly without any intervals sometimes it beeps thrice and then stop..sometimes once..minutes later one more...when i try to check inside and touch one of the hard drive it was quite hot..anyone got a solution?

Comments

• tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited September 2005
    Did you build the pc yourself or is it manufactured by a company. If it was manufactured (dell, hp, sony, gateway, ect...) take a look in the owners manual and there should be a list of warnings for what those beeps are. Its kinda like morse code for pc's in a way, so an example is....say in there like a long beep followed by a short beep means (and it will tell what the beep means). Even if you DID build it your motherboard's manual should also have something listed about the beeps. hope this helps some.
  • edited September 2005
    i bought the parts and ask a shop to build it for me..right now like 1hr later no more beep..strange =/
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited September 2005
    well if it does start beeping check your manual. you should check it anyway because something bad could have happened :eek2:
  • edited September 2005
    what manual..?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited September 2005
    Sounds like it could be an overheating beep code. Do you have a temperature monitoring application installed on your PC? If so, could you let us know what your temperatures are?

What happens when it starts beeping? is this while it is starting up (just shortly afterwards) or while you are in windows, playing a game, etc..?

You may want to verify that all of your fans are operating correctly, and that there are no dust bunnies from hell lurking around :D

Also, could you post your system specifications?
  • edited September 2005
    Now i remembered..I went to regedit to delete a value code of a file..and I went to the Windows Service Pack uninstaller then i don't have the disc so i terminated the uninstallation half way and it said it would like damage my com..then i couldn't access add/remove program and there are 3 weird icons in my control panel with no name can i couldn't even get rid of them T.T ...
    I'm sort of a geek so pardon T.T if anything I missed out just tell me where to find it and i will produce it
    I don't have a fan application program
    AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+
    2.19Ghz(omg i just realised the x.xx Ghz which suppose to be in the System page was not there!!)goodness i think the abnormal termination of uninstallation did this
    512MB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX4000
    the beeps seem to come randomly..it can come like every 10-20minutes or like start beep like once-thrice then after 2-3 hours it comes again..regardless of gaming/idling/surfing..so maybe a reformat would help..cause this beep stuff only happened today..it was fine for 1year+ since i got the com..
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Sounds like you messed with something that should have been left alone, we all have done something like this in the past. You can try using a windows disc and run the repair setup. if that doesn't work than you might want to just reformat. If you have an extra HD just push over the info that is important to you and format you main HD. It sucks but it could save your comp if something is not working properly.
  • edited September 2005
    now when i reach startup it gives me a small window "Windows File Protection" it says "Files that are required to run Windows properly must be coped to the DLL cache" ,Please insert Windows XP Pro CD-ROM now...so i guess repair/reformat would solve it and the disc with my uncle so I get him to reformat soon.
    Just asking how do you go to safe mode..everytime when I just turn on my com and I keep tabbing F8 it still starts windows as usual like nothing happens
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited September 2005
    Yikes, definitely time for a reformat and re-installation. I'm not sure why you can not get into safe mode. You do have to hit F8 before you see the XP splash screen. I usually start smashing it as soon as my PC gets out of the BIOS post screen..
  • edited September 2005
    BIOS screen is the page where they put the primary slave and stuff?I don't know my com startup fast it just like load for 3-5 sec for first page then the slave page like 3-5sec then next 3-5sec..then splash xp screen load page 15-20sec i think..then startup