will this be a big improvement for gaming?

MizugoriMizugori NYC
edited September 2005 in Hardware
i currently have

abit nf7-s 2.0
barton 2800+
2 x 512mb pc3200 patriot xbl
bba radeon 9800xt 256mb

im considering upgrading to a new motherboard and a 64 processor; such as:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16813130468

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16819103531

before i spend the money, will this be a big improvement for gaming?

thanks!

Comments

• NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited September 2005
    somewhat, but probably not what you're expecting. you would be better off OC'ing your processor and upgrading your videocard if you're looking a considerable FPS improvement.
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited September 2005
    Question...What games are you trying to get better performance from....
    And for some reason when i click the links you posted it wont show anything but:We are very sorry, the page that you requested does not exist.
    Newegg.com has been undergoing many improvements recently, which required some pages to be moved.

whatever that means...lol
    edited September 2005
    Nosferatu wrote:
    somewhat, but probably not what you're expecting. you would be better off OC'ing your processor and upgrading your videocard if you're looking a considerable FPS improvement.

Umm that CPU is a great piece of hardware..and as for the MB,good choice.....that would be a huge upgrade..but as for the video card that should be upgraded..if you want more FPS and better gameplay in games like BF2,and doom3..if you r trying to save $$ then i would recomend a 6600gt they are cheap these days..but also you could go for the albaton 6800gt..i just got that card a few weeks ago and it was a lil over $230.but anyways what you posted would be a great upgrade..! Good Luck.! :thumbsup:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Agreed, you want a video card upgrade to get a significant boost, the system as is isn't that bad.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited September 2005
    Mizugori wrote:
    i currently have

abit nf7-s 2.0
    barton 2800+
    2 x 512mb pc3200 patriot xbl
    bba radeon 9800xt 256mb

im considering upgrading to a new motherboard and a 64 processor; such as:

MSI K8N Neo2

and

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice

before i spend the money, will this be a big improvement for gaming?

thanks!
    Yup! Although right now it's your (relatively slow) video card holding you back more than anything. Also I'd grab a 3200+/3500+ Vencie or X2 3800+ Toledo over the 3800+. They give better bang for the buck. I expect the 3800+ Venice to fade away rather soon.....
    edited September 2005
    You might want to read some reviews about x2 chips. b/c i have read that the single core CPU's were performing better in games than the duel core CPU's..but this might not be for all the X2 chips..good luck.1 :thumbsup:
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited September 2005
    SoLo wrote:
    You might want to read some reviews about x2 chips. b/c i have read that the single core CPU's were performing better in games than the duel core CPU's..but this might not be for all the X2 chips..good luck.1 :thumbsup:
    Thats just benchmarks, not real hour after hour usage. Thats akin to saying just because one car has a better 0-60 time than another it's better to drive on twisty roads. If your computer has slowdowns or you see the hourglass alot you need/want a X2