unmountable boot volume

edited September 2005 in Hardware
Hi all
I was trying to do my computer a favor and told it to clean itself up, remove temp files etc. and it asked if I wanted it to remove programs not used often and I agreed and then it crashed and I'm getting the unmountable boot volume message since. I can get into F8 but whether I choose safe mode or last good - it just comes up with the same page (lists a million drivers before it goes back to the blue screen). I am not much of a geek but my guess is that it cleaned up something that a program shared and it now needs?!

I do not have discs for this computer. I tried to download a winxp file that someone recommended but it won't fit on the floppy. The guy in the store said to use a stick. I got one but how will I be able to boot the computer from that?

Next question - I went to the store to buy xp pro so I'd have a disc. The guy in the store said NOOOOO and told me that would erase everything.

Next question! I talked to the computer guy that takes care of things at work and it was the most negative conversation I ever had! He said, just throw it out basically and get a new hard drive. I don't want to lose all my info or programs. It was working fine before I decided to clean it. I'm sure there is a way to fix it.

Can anyone there help? If I buy a new xp, can I put it in and get the repair thing I read about? Would that help?

Patt

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    ..I would try the recovery, then a clean install, then a new hard drive.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited September 2005
    Buy the same version of XP you had installed. And then yes a repair will probably solve your problem. You might try running chkdsk on the boot volume first.

Tex