PS cable question

RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
edited October 2005 in Hardware
Hi Mack,

I used a Neo-Power for a recently finished a build (Feb 05), but was usatisfied with the connectors used on it.

I have thing for a cleanliness when it comes to case wiring, and had bought the Neo-Power, thinking I could make custom cables for it, routing the wires where I want them to go. Due to a propietary male/female Molex pin & housing set up on the Neo power, my only option was to splice in lengths of wire to get the length I was after for each cable. Please refer to the reference thread (response #28) below for more info about the problem I had with the Neo-Power, .

My question to you is "Does OCZ use a propietary male/female Molex pin & housing?" or are they standard pins/housing, and more importantly, are they standard enough to be available from general Modder/Ethusiast retailers? For the Neo, I would have had to order 10K of each of them from the Taiwanese mfg! Don't need quite so many.....

Reference Thread: My Latest Creation

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    We use standard molex on both ends of the molex cables actually, but i'm not sure you can get the exact same. Are you looking to make the cables longer?
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited September 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    We use standard molex on both ends of the molex cables actually, but i'm not sure you can get the exact same. Are you looking to make the cables longer?

Hi Mack,

Yes, I need extra length on the wires, but more importantly, I'm looking for the ability to cut the wire to the exact length I need, adding whichever connector I need. IE: SATA, CD Molex, Video Card, etc. My goal is to have as little of the cables visible as possible.

For my needs the best alternative would be having the PS side molex installed, with 3-4 ft of bare wire attached, and a bag full of connectors to use as I need them. That way I could get the exact length I need, and have an easier time sleeving them, before I added the connector at the other end.

Thanks for the help!

Best Regards,

Fred
    edited September 2005
    The issue is that a sata connector needs different voltages than for example the videocard and the differences are not only on the cable, but on the inside of the psu as well. The PSU you are looking for doesn't exist i think.
    edited September 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    The issue is that a sata connector needs different voltages than for example the videocard and the differences are not only on the cable, but on the inside of the psu as well. The PSU you are looking for doesn't exist i think.

Guess we're not understanding each other, I know about the difference voltage needs for SATA over a video card, my Pops is an electrician, I've been using voltage meters since I could walk ;D , I can test out any connection necessary.

Let me state this a different way. Would a reseller bought Molex 4-pin connector, or 6 pin connector plug and lock into the respective spot the Modstream? All I need to know is if standard, "over the counter" connectors will work on the Modstream.
    edited September 2005
    They should as i cannot find anything special about them.
    edited October 2005
    Excellent!

I'd say OCZ has new customer then.

Thanks for your help.

What's the best RAM to use with an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe (New 32 lane PCI Express board)?
    edited October 2005
    I'd say the PC4000 2GB kit right now. At least on the Premium board that i test right now.