Barely any points.

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited September 2005 in Folding@Home
Why am i barely getting any points for finishing even big WU's. I'll complete a huge WU, 5,000 for instance, and I'll only get like 300 points. Whats with this. Ive completed 30 something WU's and i only have about 3,000 points. I've seen people with like 15 WU's and have 10,000 points.

any ideas how to get more points or am i just getting screwed?

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    I think it is just based per project...ones that take longer earn you more points I think I mean I finshed 2 WU's and have 85 points....but tonight I should polish off about 9 more WU's :)
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited September 2005
    I think it is just based per project...ones that take longer earn you more points I think I mean I finshed 2 WU's and have 85 points....but tonight I should polish off about 9 more WU's :)

Yea ive been folding for a few weeks, and i only have 3,000 points :mad:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Pffft, back in my day we got 1 or even just half a point for a work unit and we LIKED IT!

:rolleyes2
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Not sure what to say. The max point value is 600, so some people that have a 600 points-to-WU ratio are just extremely lucky.
    Enverex wrote:
    Pffft, back in my day we got 1 or even just half a point for a work unit and we LIKED IT!

:rolleyes2

Yup. Preach on, brother.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Our star system looks funny these days. Look at people in the middle of the team list.

Jumpin'_Jack 538,721 14,914
    GeneralKeebler 461,419 5,949
    scthoburn 451,376 5,128
    Donuts 435,968 2,776

Jack has 36 points/unit and Donuts has 157.
    Those that have been folding a long time have the lower values, before today big units.

Don't worry, just fold.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited September 2005
    edcentric wrote:
    Our star system looks funny these days. Look at people in the middle of the team list.

Jumpin'_Jack 538,721 14,914
    GeneralKeebler 461,419 5,949
    scthoburn 451,376 5,128
    Donuts 435,968 2,776

Jack has 36 points/unit and Donuts has 157.
    Those that have been folding a long time have the lower values, before today big units.

Don't worry, just fold.

:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

Yea, i just want more points for TEAM 93!!!!!!!!!!! top 10 again (although i wanst here when we were within the top 10 ;D )
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2005
    The 5,000 means nothing really. Dont worry about that number.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    It's not about the number of frames, it's about how long it takes you to finish the whole WU. On a fast system, folding an 1140, 1141 or 1150, 35 minutes a frame is good, and the whole thing may take several days. Folding one of the lower point gromacs will go a lot quicker, but not be worth as many points.
    If you want higher WU points, usually you need to enable support for large WU's in the config when you set it up. Be warned though, some of the large WU's can easily eat up 100mb of ram, or more.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    One thing I've noticed over the past few weeks is that there have been more of the (somewhat slower) WU's in the 100-200 point range. Stanford runs these in cycles, so I'd bet if you hang in there you'll soon see some of the juicier 364 and 600 point WU's.

It all averages out over the long run. :)
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    One thing I've noticed over the past few weeks is that there have been more of the (somewhat slower) WU's in the 100-200 point range. Stanford runs these in cycles, so I'd bet if you hang in there you'll soon see some of the juicier 364 and 600 point WU's.

It all averages out over the long run. :)

I've found that some of my systems will get the same batch of WU's time and time again, and some will get everything under the sun. 2 of my home systems and a bunch of my system at work will rarely get anything but the 600 pointers.
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited September 2005
    tmh88 wrote:
    Why am i barely getting any points for finishing even big WU's. I'll complete a huge WU, 5,000 for instance, and I'll only get like 300 points. Whats with this. Ive completed 30 something WU's and i only have about 3,000 points. I've seen people with like 15 WU's and have 10,000 points.

any ideas how to get more points or am i just getting screwed?
    There was a time - about 2 years ago - most of the folders were adding flags and special stuff to get more Gromacs and most everybody NEVER wanted the dreaded Tinkers. I think Gromacs were averaging around 34 points and Tinkers topped out at about 71. What a difference in todays world. ;D My guess is, your getting about the same as all the rest of us - depending on how many machines you have running and how fast they are it will all average out. I turned in a unit the other day and I got 14 points. :eek: Go figure! :fold: Jack