Tough little Northwood!

edited September 2005 in Hardware
The P4 processors may be power hogs, but they sure are tough. My daughter's machine locked up last night while she was using it and when I went in the computer room she was in the process of rebooting. She neglected to tell me that it had locked up again shortly after she rebooted it, but just left it running and locked up. So I go into the computer room this morning and I went to look up something on her computer and found it locked up again, like it was last night when she got on it. Stange, I thought to myself as it is usually a most reliable machine. I rebooted it and after running about 2 minutes after the 2 folding clients restarted, it locked up again. So I went ahead and rebooted and went into bios to monitor voltages and temps and lo and behold, the cpu temp was at 68-70 C just sitting in bios and the cpu fan speed at "0", but not locked up. That's over 20 C hotter than this machine normally runs, so I decide to see what is going on inside. I took the side cover off and the SmartFan2 mounted on the SLK 947-U is just sitting there like a turd on a log, doing nothing. :rolleyes: Well the high temps are now explainable, with only a little airflow from the 120mm side case fan and nothing directly to the proc. I replaced that bad fan with another SmartFan2 and now she's purring like a kitten again, folding it's butt off and happy and cool.

That poor Northie in her machine sat there all night with no direct airflow on it's heatsink without smoking itself or anything else. :cool: Evidently, the SLK 947-U has enough passive heatsinking ability to keep the proc cool enough to keep the proc from killing itself. Even though the P4's have built-in ability to throttle without having to rely on the mobo to tell it to, I find it just amazing that running at least 12+ hours at that high a temp did nothing to it.

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    A dead CPU fan has always been my worst nightmare. Good thing Intel included speed-throttling!
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    almost all new processors have processor throttling. but its not a gauranteed save your processor if the fan dies.