My newest build freezes =/

JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
edited September 2005 in Hardware
My computer specs:

AMD 64 3200+ Venice S939 OCed to 2.5ghz from 2.0ghz
ThermalRight XP-120 CPU Cooler with 120mm Fan 63 CFM(idle 30C-full load 45C)
ASUS A8N SLI-Premium
BFG 6600GT OC PCI-E
Seagate SATA HDD 250G
G-Skill 512x2 2-3-3-6
Thermaltake 420 watts with 18A +12V rail
Pioneer DVR-109
Sony DVD-Rom

First off, with my first installation of Windows XP Pro ed. everything works well for the first 3 months and than for some unknown reason it started to restart frequently, so I formated the C: to install a fresh Windows XP Pro ed.

After formatting and installing a fresh copy of XP, the computer started to freeze frequently. I've formatted 4 times now and it still keeps on freezing. At least my last format is a bit better. My com didn't freeze for a duration of around 4 hrs just using windows, msn, Winamp etc.. no games; however, when I start playing CS Source using Steam it starts to freeze after around 10 to 15 mins of gaming. I've also installed NFS:U2 and played that and it doesnt lock up at all.

Please help me with my problem. I don't know what parts could be causing the problem. I'm guessing it's a bad Vid Card or Ram, but not sure. Maybe its just a bad install of HL2/CS:S/Steam.

It's not Overheating or OC problem. The OC ceiling was tested using Folding@home, HotCPU and Prime95, each for 24 hours.

Anybody have any ideas?

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    did you try to clock it back to it's normal settings?
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited September 2005
    Did it recently just start to happen, or did you notice a time when it started. Like sledgehammer said, clock it back to the normal settings. Who knows the temperature readings could even be off, and it could be alot hotter. just a suggestion.

:cheers:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Try running Memtest (www.memtest86.com) to check the RAM...