computer only beeps repeatedly and won't boot up

edited September 2005 in Hardware
For weeks my computer has been shutting down on me when I try to do anything. Today it started beeping and won't boot at all. The light by the power button on the front of the tower stays red. Can this be fixed or do I need a new motherboard?

Comments

• a16659235a16659235 The United States of America
    edited September 2005
    For weeks my computer has been shutting down on me when I try to do anything. Today it started beeping and won't boot at all. The light by the power button on the front of the tower stays red. Can this be fixed or do I need a new motherboard?

What have you done to troubleshoot this issue? Need more details than just a teaser.

Need more info like:
    What kind of computer? Make, brand, custom, mobo, ram, hard drive, PSU, etc....?
    edited September 2005
    Next list changes and action you have made since this issue NAD what you did BEFORE you noticed this issue. Did you click on, open up, execute a program that did this? Many questions for you. Spam, Spy, virus, RAM, PSU failure, etc. can all lead to some sort of failure. Good luck.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    you should have more than 1 light in the front usually a power light and a HD light. If it is red it could be hard drive failure!
  • edited September 2005
    As far as the brands and models of everything we are still working on finding out. The computer was custom built.
    I ran the microsoft spyware blaster and it said there was none. It also came back as being virus free.
    Each time the thing would shut down on me a different message would come up saying something about *.exe files. Each time it was a different file name.
    The light that stays red is the one that has the little cylinder picture next to it.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Assuming the machine has a Floppy drive, download (do all this on another PC) a program called MaxBlast (http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068/?channelpath=%2Fen_us%2FSupport%2FSoftware%20Downloads%2FATA%20Hard%20Drives&downloadID=57) and run it; it should create a boot disk for you. Put the disk in the PC that is having issues and let it boot it. Do the short diagnostics test then if it says there aren't any problems, do the advanced test: this will basically tell you if the drive is dead or not.

I can't really tell from your post if your PC is even turning on at all. Does it do anything (POST, try to boot, etc) or does it just bleep repeatedly when it's turned on?

If it only bleeps, what bleeps does it do? (it's like morse code, the longer and shorter ones as well as number of bleeps tell you what has failed).

Would be a good idea to make sure everything is connected properly inside too.
    edited September 2005
    harlie_7 wrote:
    As far as the brands and models of everything we are still working on finding out. The computer was custom built.
    I ran the microsoft spyware blaster and it said there was none. It also came back as being virus free.
    Each time the thing would shut down on me a different message would come up saying something about *.exe files. Each time it was a different file name.
    The light that stays red is the one that has the little cylinder picture next to it.

OK. Thanks for the info. Look for any serial and model numbers on the mobo, look on the chipsets and list all the serials/#s from them too (just for reference). I agree with Sledgehammer70, this could be a hard disk failure. Solid red light usually indicates that the drive is working but is either stuck on a bad sector or cannot find the MBR/boot sector to initialize the OS.

Are the jumpers correctly applied to the system? HDD is "master" and CD-ROM "slave or CS"? Usually for Parallel ATA IDE and not for SATA.
    But since you are able to boot into Windows (it appears that way to me from your message) have you tried to restore your Windows partition from a restore point? With all of the different messages and shutting down, it appears like your system may still have a virus or bad drive sectors/clusters.

Like the previous replies stated as well, run those hard disk diagnostics and get back to us with your results.

One more thing, check your RAM. What type is it? DDR? SDRAM? How much is installed? Single side, double side? You mentioned "beeps", are they 6 short, 3 short, one long? Take out the RAM and then add only one stick. If this helps, you may have a bad stick of RAM. If same thing happens, switch sticks and try again. Look for changes in results. If no changes, then return them back to the system or try a different pair/stick for comparision. RAM is a big headache for some mobos in compatibility. Chipsets from VIA, for example, may give the biggest headaches for some manufactured RAM.

Peace