How far

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited September 2005 in Hardware
Alright. i have 1.5 gigs, 3*512 of ocz plat rev 2 non vx. I have a gigabyte k8ns-pro with a socket 754 2800. I want to know how much I can expect to push out of this ram. I'm also going to dump a stick of this stuff in my younger bros rig that im building since i had two kits and only 3 dimms.

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Very much depends on the memorycontroller on the cpu. You have to use 2T with more than 4 anks of ram which you have with 3 sticks. 2 sticks goes as high your mainboard allows it too i think. I have 4 kits of that ram, and all does over 300 1:1 at 2.5,3,4,7 timings.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    2.5 3 4 7 2t, is that what i should aim for, or should i try to get some tighter timmings on it since i dont have 8 sticks., i was thinking maybe 2-2-3-6 2t but i dont know if ill hit it. and the one to one, is that memory running same speed as fsb? if so then ill be able to hit that in the future, im looking to get a lil better cooling and then overclock my 2800 to 2.4 Ghz hopefully, that would be a 600 mhz increase. I've seen it done many times berfore on STOCK cooling, without increasing the temps for than a few degrees celsius. so im hoping to get as much as i can. and i know the power supply can handle it since i got the modstream 520. its so freegin sweet. O think i will get an ocz "aplique". and put it on my window.
    edited September 2005
    Try the looser timings first and use 1:1.
    edited September 2005
    alright., now heres another prob. I've tried using the floppy to get memtest86 going before, which i have been told that it has ways to tweak the timmings and voltage.

I could never get it a going. and i dont think that the phoenix bios on my gigabyte k8ns-pro has any memory tweaking accept for the voltage.
    edited September 2005
    Your mainboard have a lot of tweaks. There is a hidden bios setting you can unhide with a key combination. Hit CTRL F1 in the main bios. That should unlock a few things.
    edited September 2005
    wow..i'm gonna go try this. where did you find it. I looked all over for tweaks but i couldnt find them. guess i wasnt looking in the right place. why do mobo manufactures hide these features for. why dont they just label them "HARDWARE TWEAKS, STUPID PEOPLE STAY AWAY"

by the way, does anyone know how much voltage i should try to push to the memory. I know that the higher the voltage the more stable it is, but I also know that as voltage goes up, so does the temp, but i dont know if ill have to worry about temps on ram, none the less on ocz platinum ram, since it is meant to run pretty fast.

I would still like to get memtest running though. I'm gonna try it again. cause i want it as fast as possible, but i also want this thing stable. Id rather have it stable than fast.
    edited September 2005
    Not wanna be a bastard, but www.google.com and search for "K8Ns hidden bios"

Your ram only needs about 2.7 volts to operate optimal.
    edited September 2005
    aright...i guess...it didnt unlock everything i thought it would, such as a plethora of new menus. but it did unlock one called chipset options.

what is the ht multiplier. my mobo can go from 1x - 5x. what does it do. i think its either at auto or 4x right now?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited September 2005
    The goal when overclocking the 754/939 platforms is to keep the overall HTT frequency as close to the default frequency as possible. On the 754 Platform, the default frequency is 800MHz/1600MHz DDR (derived from a 4x multiplier) and on the 939 Platform, it is 1000MHz/2000MHz DDR (derived from a 5x multiplier).

Once you begin to start increasing the base HTT frequency to overclock your CPU/Memory, your overall HTT will begin to exceed it’s rated operating frequency. To compensate for this unwanted increase, we simply decrease the HTT (or LDT) multiplier.
    Ideally, you want to keep the overall HTT frequency as close to its rated speed as possible. But there is a ‘safe range’ that you should try to stay within:

No less than 300MHz under the default HTT bus speed, and no higher than 200MHz over the default HTT bus speed is my recommendation.

Safe HTT bus speed ranges:
    Socket 754: 1300MHz- 1800MHz
    Socket 939: 1700MHz- 2200MHz

Overall HTT Bus Clock = baseHTT * LDT Multiplier * 2

So for example, the socket 754 A64 chips have a default LDT multiplier of 4, and the baseHTT for all A64’s is 200MHz, so we can determine the overall HTT as follows:

Overall HTT Bus Clock = BaseHTT * LDT Multiplier * 2
    Overall HTT Bus Clock = 200MHz * 4 * 2
    Overall HTT Bus Clock = 1600MHz.

So if you were to increase your base HTT to 230MHz, you could use a lower 3x multi to stay within a safe range.

Overall HTT Bus Clock = BaseHTT * LDT Multiplier * 2
    Overall HTT Bus Clock = 230MHz * 3 * 2
    Overall HTT Bus Clock = 1380MHz.

The above was mostly taken from an article I'm currently working on, hopefully I'll get it finished soon.
    edited September 2005
    wow. i cant wait for the article. cause ive done athalon xp systems and pentiums. but ive never seen a htt multiplier and when i saw that, i was like whoaa wtf.???

I always wondered why newegg said 1800 mhz fsb, but my mobo only said 200. i just accepted this as normal and said, oh well a 2 ghz fsb is to good to be true. so lets se here. im on 4x, so that would mean i have a...(carry the four...).. 1600mhz htt.

Im also assumming here this is related to the fsb. i never realy got that part of the deal either. im used to the old simple processors. SOMEONE GIVE ME AN ATHALON 2500 BARTON FOR GOD SAKES!!!