Mobo on SATA Help

edited September 2005 in Hardware
Hi guys,
I just built a new computer, it boots fine but im having trouble installing Windows XP Home. I have a SATA Maxtor Diamond Max 10 300GB. my motherboard is GA-K8N Pro SLI. http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_GA-K8N%20Pro-SLI.htm
i went here and got the drivers SATA RAID DRIVERS and got the 3rd download, the one for XP,. i set the bios to boot HDD, CD, Floppy. When i install windows it tells me to push f6 to install the SATA. I do so then i partition, it finds the drive, then it says it's going to reboot and setup will continue. The system reboots then the cycle starts all over again. it tries to reinstall windows XP. If i let it run w/o the Disc in it, it comes up with the Error PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, Check Cable and PXE-MOF: Exiting Nvidia Boot Agent. a friend asked me to set the boot to only HDD, and it magicly boots the CD. if i take out the CD it'll come up to the same error. If i push f10 to RAID the drive it knows that it's a Maxtor HDD but when i check the bios, i can't find the HDD. I only have a S_ATA_SB (controlled by nforce4 SLI) there's also SATA_SII (controlled by sil3114) but this feature was cut out from my board. it must be on the ultra SLI. but i only have the S_ATA_SB.
sorry it was so long, thanks for all the help guys

phaj

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    This is a buddy of mine guys, I couldn't seem to help him. I hope someone here can.

:thumbsup:
  • edited September 2005
    Problem Solved
    For anyone who gets this GA-K8N Pro-SLI board and has the same problem, this is how you fix it.
    NOTE: you must have a floppy drive on the computer you are building to install SATA Drivers.

Using another WORKING computer, with a FLOPPY drive, pull the drivers from the cd that comes with the Mother board. (I know a lot of people hate using the drivers that come with the Mother board, but this will make things easier, then you can upgrade later if you like).
    -pop in a unused floppy
    -locate the folder BootDRV from the CD
    -Load Menu.exe
    -(for the GA-K8N Pro-SLI we only have SATA_SB (yellow wire))
    select Option E. nVIDIA series ATA (XP)
    from then on the files should unzip onto your floppy.
    This Floppy will be used when installing Windows XP, when it ask you to push F6 to install RAID Drivers.

To get your Motherboard to see your Hard Drive
    My Hard Drive was a MAXTOR Diamond Max 10 300GB

-Go into BIOS
    -Locate Integrated Peripherals
    -Find the option IDE/SATA RAID Function
    -Disable this if it is Enable.
    -F10 Save and it should Reboot.

To Check for your Hard Drive
    -Enter BIOS
    -Locate Advanced BIOS Features
    -Find the option Hard Disk Boot Priority
    -Enter it and you should see your Hard Drive.
    (then i also went to set the boot order to CD ROM, Hard Drive, Floppy just to be safe)
    -F10 Save and Install Windows XP and Push F6 when they tell you to.

After Windows installed itself, i went back into the BIOS and changed the Boot order back to Hard Drive, CD ROM, and Disable, cause i hate Floppies.

Hope This Helps Someone Out There...
    Thanks

phaj