X1800 First benchmarks!

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited September 2005 in Hardware
Well if you were waiting to see what ATI had with its new R520 core, to decide NVIDIA or ATI... Well here is your answer....

NVIDIA "I will always say Nvidia as I think they are better anyways" so call me bias if you want!

Read The Write Up and Benchmarks here!

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1813/

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    So a website that has been publicly snubbed by ATI for its biased reporting history is comparing the 7800GTX with a rumoredly over-optimised driver against the X1800 series with release candidate drivers, the website says "Our conclusion is a mixed bag really" and you're saying that nVidia is the clear winner? I'm confused. :scratch:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    HA has always reported info to the T, they have never been worng with news they post. ATI was mad at them because they stated Crossfire isn't all it was cracked up to be. I find these findings very true. So I have no problem saying Nvidia is the clear leader still....

Anything from the "Inquirer" isn't true, it is rumored info across the board, I think I might have read 1 thing that came true form what they said.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited September 2005
    ...as we don’t physically have a board
    ...we could only submit our benchmark scripts and testing configuration to them
    ...By cutting us off however we’ve just been given a new incentive to work harder to break the news when we get a chance, in our usual no holds barred fashion

:confused:

I know people are eager to see the results, but I don't see how this type of comparison is a good 'first-look', nor do I think it is really fair. I do sense a fair bit of bias in the article.

I'll wait for some more reputable write-ups.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    I too will wait for some more reputable writeups.
    edited September 2005
    well the the author isn't bias to any company as he is on the bad side of all... he has taken to good and bad form everyone...
  • rykoryko new york
    edited September 2005
    yeah, Hardware Analysis is one of the worst hardware review sites out there....it's like 12 year olds run that place! I NEVER trust anything from them...
    edited September 2005
    lol! they ghave been a great resource for years....I have never read false info at HA
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    itlookslikecrapfromthecrappertome! :scratch:

What Garbage! Those guys are total asses. ;D
  • rykoryko new york
    edited September 2005
    lol! they ghave been a great resource for years....I have never read false info at HA

HA, HA, HA --- you have got to be kidding, right?

they are notorious for pushing their agenda. happens to many hardware review sites. if they don't report positively on certain hardware, the hardware companies stop sending them stuff to be reviewed. very few sites will give you the real lowdown on products.

anyway, this article at HA is brimming with ATI bashing. I mean look at the 1st page---their minds have been made up already. Not to mention that they didn't even physically have the hardware in front of them...

HA is crap.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited September 2005
    its all crap. In the conclusion they list the system specs THEY used to both cards but they did not actually test the ATI card, the submitted the scripts for testing, the hardware that was actually used to test the ATI card could have been anything with a pci express slot. It all sounds like BS to me...

until you actually have the card in hand to bench in identical systems then its pointless posting a review.
    edited September 2005
    well I disagree, The X1800 will be upto par, But I feel the tests are conclusive....I guess we will see next week.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited September 2005
    IMO These results are inline with expectations. The R520 is a SM3.0 tweaked version of the R480/X850 series running 20% faster but with only 16 pipes. It should be a little faster than the 6800 series but slower than the 7800 series with 24pipes.

The R580 series due this winter should be more compelling with 16-32 pipelines available.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited September 2005
    from hardocp front page today...
    Vapor-Hardware Analysis:
    Sander Sassen of HardwareAnalysis.com looks as if he might have gotten caught putting out a video card "review" of a product he never had. <a href=http://www.driverheaven.net/showpost.php?p=680744&postcount=1>DriverHeaven has a good write-up for those not wishing to read a novel.</a> It does seem that Sander feels as though his opinion of ATI impacts the world market though. This is what he had to say after he was excluded from an ATI event.

So you're telling me I'm not invited is that it? I feel an ATI column coming up, lets see if we can drop the stock price shall we?

You can find Sander’s recap of the events <a href=http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1814/>here</a>. And you can even find <a href=http://www.driverheaven.net/showpost.php?p=681628&postcount=1>ATI responding about the situation</a>.

I was one of the first people to hire Sander back in the late 90's. We split ways after he concocted and idea that I had stolen his heatsink designs and sold it to the Taiwanese. To this day I still have never figured out what exactly got him thinking that. It is sad that Hardware Analysis has sunken to the level that it has. They used to be a good site to visit. I have to say that many times I did not agree with Sander’s opinion on hardware, but it is always a good thing to see something from another point of view. Now you have to wonder how many times his point of view was totally unfounded.

Undoubtedly, with so many hardware websites active, it is hard to be first at anything anymore, especially if you "play by the rules." That said, we made up our minds a long time ago that we would rather be right than first when it comes to debut hardware. And while some sites have no credibility as they are fall directly into the tabloid category, it is not them that worry me. Most people can look at those sites and know fully that they deal more in rumor mongering and fiction writing than much anything else. Sites like Hardware Analysis crossing the line do a ton more damage to the industry. I would hope you would be getting solid information from someone like Sander, but apparently that may not be the case. Interestingly enough, <a href=http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=26239>TheInquirer</a&gt; refers to Sander Sassen as, “OUR GOOD colleague.”

Now is the time for Sander to buck up and take his licks before he digs a really big hole that his small website will never have the power to get out of. And on this, I speak from experience.

what a whiny b*tch Sander Sassen is.....he didn't get invited to an ati party so he purposely fabricated a poor review of ati's new hardware to try and hurt their bottom line. that is pathetic. :shakehead
    edited September 2005
    lol people are funny, this thing has gone way to far, you know I see it from both sides, and it is just funny!
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2005

In addition to the above post by ryko, nuff said.
    edited September 2005
    "Interestingly enough, The Inquirer refers to Sander Sassen as, “OUR GOOD colleague.” "

now that is even funnier :)
    edited September 2005
    Enverex wrote:
    In addition to the above post ryko, nuff said.
    well still to this date I havent read bad info form HA no matter what other sites say.... maybe when the X1800 comes out HA might be worng, but what if they are right, will people stop slandering Sander? this might just be funny. If HA is wrong I see that site falling like a brick......
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited September 2005
    well still to this date I havent read bad info form HA no matter what other sites say.... maybe when the X1800 comes out HA might be worng, but what if they are right, will people stop slandering Sander? this might just be funny. If HA is wrong I see that site falling like a brick......

Ati them selves said there wrong.
    edited September 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    Ati them selves said there wrong.
    Think about that for 1 minute, why would ATI say they were right? The results were not showing there new chip in the lead. If ATI's X1800 was shown in the lead, I bet a million bucks that this whole issue would not be going on. In all it was in ATI's best interest to strike back at this. The only way we will know is when vendors give us Benchmarks.... is the R520 Chip going to beat the 7800GTX....who knows from what I see so far, No, But until the fibbed or real benchmarks are proven wrong I will keep my opinion on it. I certainly do hope the R520 will perform better than what has been shown....
  • rykoryko new york
    edited September 2005
    HA is already on the bottom rung of the hardware ladder. they can't fall much farther.

and i really don't care about the true/false benchies, i care about HA's and SS's lack of professionalism. i care that HA and SS are untrustworthy and that they have released something as fact which cannot be proven at this time.

by jumping the gun, HA gets a ton of hits from interested readers and more traffic for their site. they didn't even have the hardware in front of them! this is shady business practice at it's worst. and this is not the first time HA has done something questionable. why don't i write a review for SM about a quad-core dual opteron setup that i don't have sitting in front of me---it's ok i'll just guess and people will believe me!

and NO i will not stop slandering SS. he is a joke...if i remeber correctly he was the one who was extolling the virtues of RAMBUS back in the day, and we all know how well that turned out....
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    See, he wins no matter what. Our sites live and die by traffic numbers, and his are astounding today, just because of this. That sad part about this ordeal is that he will make actual money just from publishing a bunch of crap. Of course, his long term prospects are probably dim because of this controversy, but still.... Sad.