Video card selection help...

edited September 2005 in Hardware
Im thinkin of building my own pc... i was wodering how 2 cards connected together (SLI) is different from just one card. obviously it is better in some way. I also wanted to know if buying an expensive card is worth it...cuz i heard it goes slow after some time. Is this true? or can i buy an expensive card once... and rely on it for a long time? (at least for about 5 or 6 years)

i was thinkin of buying gforce 6800 btw

thx

Comments

• Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited September 2005
    Moved to the Graphics & Sound Card Forum.....

SLI give you the ability to run at higher resoltions at maximum quality with no slow down. Two cards are better than one but if your running at 1024 or lower SLI is overkill (and expensive)
  • edited September 2005
    and do the cards get slower after a year or two? or are they gonna stay as good as new forever. will 2 cards in SLI last longer than just 1 card?

also... is it better to have two cheaper cards in sli (such gforce 6600) or having 1 really expensive card?

thx for ur help!
  • edited September 2005
    NewGuy wrote:
    and do the cards get slower after a year or two? or are they gonna stay as good as new forever. will 2 cards in SLI last longer than just 1 card?

also... is it better to have two cheaper cards in sli (such gforce 6600) or having 1 really expensive card?

thx for ur help!

Regardless of either of those factors, you'll want to upgrade either way.

The 6600 gt's won't last you too long as far as performance as they are "low-end" as far as video cards are concerned.

Now back to your original question: The cards will not get slower after a year or two, but the games will get more intense, thus needing to upgrade.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited September 2005
    A single 6800GT/6800U (or ATI X800/X850 XT) will last you 2-3 years. SLI add another year.

People are still gaming with 9700 Pro which are (?) 3years old now.

SLI is good if you game above 1280 res, if you game at 1024 or below get one good card.
  • edited September 2005
    ohhh i see, guess im gonna stick with only one ... thanks again :thumbsup:
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited September 2005
    I dont think the SLI is worth it unless you have alot of money to spend. Its not like you'd get 2 times the performace of one card, its more like 1.3 times the performance over one card(well maybe 1.5 im not even sure exactly how they work).