What did I do wrong

edited September 2005 in Hardware
I have a Compaq Presario 2100 laptop AMD that was running a hot and
shutting down on its own due to over heating. I went to Compaq and downloaded the service manual for it and took it upon myself to disassemble the computer and give it a thorough cleaning. I took my time and and took it apart all the way down to the motherboard, it was filthy. I used a can of air and blew all the dirt, dust and hair out of it. When I put the computer back
together and turned it on it ran for about ten seconds and then shut down.
I turned it on again and it did the same thing. I can’t do anything with it
not even boot it into the bios. What did I do wrong? I took it back apart
to double check my work and did not see any thing obvious and yes my fan is running. Any help or suggestions will be great thanks.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    sounds like the processor is overheating immediately and shutting down. I suspect either bad or no contact between the processor and the heatsink. Try reassembling the heatsink and CPU portion, and get some new thermal paste on it while you're in there.
  • edited September 2005
    Thanks for your reply . Your answer makes since to me. I did have my fan out and and my heat sink is attached to my fan wich means I had to separate it from my processor. Is there something special I was supposed to do when I put my heat sink back in? You also mentioned thermal paste it has a thermal pad can you use the paste in the place of the pad or will I have to get a new pad?
    edited September 2005
    You should scrape the pad off and switch to a high quality thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5. I can't tell you what may have gone wrong, since every laptop is so different.

Good luck!

:)
  • edited September 2005
    Just incase you were wondering what was wrong with it i took it back apart and
    there was a striped out screw in my heat sink and it was not getting a good
    conection with my cpu. Works like new now thanks everybody for your help.
    edited September 2005
    Glad it's working! :D