USB Storage device problem

yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
edited September 2005 in Hardware
I just got a 400G HD-D2-U2 USB storage device. Whe I plug it into the usb port the computer sees it but it doesnt show up in My Computer so I cant use it. How do I get to this thing? Its supposed to be plug and play with windows XP.....
Thanks.

Comments

• sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited September 2005
    do the Add New Hardware wizard and it should install the standard Mass Storage Device drivers.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited September 2005
    If its not formated it won't show in my computer. Try right clicking on my computer and clicking manage. Then disk management. See if it just needs partitioned and formated if its brand new.

Tex
  • yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
    edited September 2005
    It sees the mass storage device in the hardware profiles but I cant "see" it in My computer. Thus I cant save anything to it. The computer will assign a drive letter to the thumbdrive I use with the usb port.....
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    It sees the mass storage device in the hardware profiles but I cant "see" it in My computer. Thus I cant save anything to it. The computer will assign a drive letter to the thumbdrive I use with the usb port.....

Tex just told you what to do. Go into Manage on the My Computer context menu then go to Disk Management. Partition the Drive (it will be the 400 Gig one without a letter assigned to it and no filesystem listed next to it) and then format it.
  • yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
    edited September 2005
    Tex,

That did it. Thanks much.....