internal hdd and external hdd in 1?

ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
edited September 2005 in Hardware
well after droping my ubs external 160 a few times i broke somthing inside it and now the drive slides around, ;D , im sure SOME one makes what im looking for.

Im looking for a drive that is like the removable tray drives that fit into a 5 1/4 inch bay but when you pull it out you can use it like an external hard drive. i know i could use a 5 1/4 external drive enclosure that i could stuff a rail mount drive into, but i wanna keep it smaller.

has any 1 seen somthign liek this?

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited September 2005
    yea but are those external USB drives when not in the 5 1/4 inch bays?
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited September 2005
    hmmm.. I really don't know. :scratch:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    They are just rack replacable hard-drive caddys, they can't be used externally or via USB.

/me pokes Pilotwings to read the post properly
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited September 2005
    I've never seen what your looking for.

And since you dropped the last one SEVERAL times I just gotta honestly suggest that the only external enclosure you should even consider should not be smaller in size but MUCH LARGER. Because it needs to be enclosed in something like three square feet of foam rubber so that it would bounce back up so you can catch it when you drop it on the floor.

Now seriously dude.... no joking.... if you DROPPED the last one SEVERAL TIMES like you posted above, you should reconsider the external hard drive choice entirely. We should change the title under your avatar to "KILLER of DRIVES".

Tex
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited September 2005
    lol the drive is a tad rough, but shes nto dead yet. The fun part is the drive tis self is only like 3 months old, the enclosure is about a year or 2
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited September 2005
    Enverex wrote:
    /me pokes Pilotwings to read the post properly
    lol better than nothing. I tried.. :p
  • rykoryko new york
    edited September 2005
    you could proabbly make your own....

take a small 3.5" external enclosure, a pair of 5.25" to 3.5" drive rail converters, and a 5.25" drive cover. dremel out a 3.5" opening in the drive cover. fashion a way for the 3.5" external enclosure to snap or lock into place. then you have you very own removable external enclosure drive rack. :)
  • edited September 2005
    Sounds like you have a patent in the works.